Author Topic: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire  (Read 19073 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire
« on: Monday 11 November 13 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information for my branch of the Imison family. My great X 3 grandfather was born in Horsehouse, Yorkshire in March 1810. He and his sisters and brother ( Eliza, Caroline, Mary and James) were all baptised in Horsehouse and his  brother, James, who died in infancy and father, also Joseph (1774-1814) are buried there. His mother, Mary (1783-1829) is buried in Grinton, near Reeth. Joseph moved to Sunderland and married my Great X 3 grandmother Eleanor Barron in St. Peter's Church, Monkwearmoth on August 7th 1831. He owned a draper's shop in Church Street. All of their children (Joseph, Caroline, George, Eliza and Mary) were baptised in St. Peter's. I have found a birth for a Joseph Imison born in Middleham, Yorkshire in 1774 with father named as Richard and mother Mary. I am aware that there are many branches of the Imison family in Yorkshire but am hoping that someone has information that can help me to get past this point.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Genie24

Do you have any inkling that Joseph's sisters Caroline & Mary also had a Millinery business in Newcastle in the 1830's?

Caroline Imison had a millinery business on 6, Blackett Street, Newcastle, in 1836, because in that year   1836 she inserts this advertisement. Earlier in 1831, she inserted another advertisement for her business which was in 128, Pilgrim Street. She sells Dresses, Pelisses, and French Corsets. She announced to her Ladies of Newcastle she had recently returned from London with and elegant and fashionable assortment of Millinery-all before the days of the railway.
The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Saturday, November 5, 1836; Issue 8451.
Miss Imison respectfully informs ladies of Newcastle that her WINTER FASHIONS will be ready for inspection on Wednesday 9th November. An Apprentice and Improver wanted at 6, Blackett Street.
However, she died sometime before March 31 1837, because this advertisement was inserted, with her sister Mary taking over the business.
Advertisements & Notices .
The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, March 31, 1837; Issue 8472.

Notice: All Debts due to the late Caroline Imison, Blackett Street, Newcastle, are requested to be paid immediately to either of the administrators, Jo. Imison, Monkwearmouth, or Mary Imison 6 Blackett Street, Newcastle and all claims against the Estate must be sent in immediately in order that they may be discharged.
M. Imison: Begs respectfully to acquaint the ladies of Newcastle and its vicinity that she intends continuing the MILLINERY and DRESS MAKING BUSINESS carried on by her late sister C. Imison and solicits a Share of the Patronage so liberally bestowed on her which it will ever be her Study to merit. As the stock must be disposed of to M. I. visiting London for the Spring Fashions a considerable sacrifice will be made to induce a speedy sale.

Mary inserts annual adverts about her business in 6, Blackett Street, and in 1840 she married:
The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, April 3, 1840; Issue 8628.
The 31st ult, at New Court Chapel, in this town, by the Rev. George Sample, Mr. Joseph Glover, junr., to Miss Immison both of this town.

Tom

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 December 13 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,
I was delighted to receive your reply! My requests for help with this elusive family have been unsuccessful so far. I thought perhaps Mary had died in in infancy as I couldn't find anything about her. This new information, including her marriage.  gives me a lot to go on. I have since found a marriage for a Joseph Imison Glover who is clearly their son.  I will have to see if I can find those newspaper advertisements. Caroline died on the 8th March 1837 but is buried in Harrogate. I got that information from her mother's grave in Grinton where her father and sister are included in the inscription. Another sister, Eliza, died in 1830 and is buried in Manchester.
Are you connected with the Imison's? If so do you any additional information? I am truly grateful for you taking the time to respond to the post.
Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 December 13 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Sorry no connection.

A few more
MARRIED: At Sunderland, on the 22nd Inst., Mr. Peter Charles Ostrom to Miss Mary Imison.

The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, January 6, 1854; Issue 9344.
Francis MCDONALD, 20, private in the 26th Regiment charged with stealing at Bishopwearmouth on the 12th November a silver watch the property of Joseph Imison, Guilty, Four Months hard labour.

The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, January 10, 1873; Issue 10333.
MARRIED: Newcastle on 2nd inst., Joseph Imison, youngest son of Joseph Glover Dilston, to Mary Morrallee, eldest daughter of the late M M Youll, Newcastle.

Joseph Imison Glover had a chemists business in Newcastle.  From around 1887 to 1892 a Mrs Imison was landlady of the Lord Crewe’s Arms, Blanchland.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 December 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
A few More:

The York Herald (York, England), Saturday, October 15, 1864; pg. [1]; Issue 4797. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II

Joseph Imison, Windmill, Benton Brick and Tile Manufactory, near Thirsk, wants a situation as FOREMAN or CONTRACTOR, Has been 20 years with his last Master, a character may be had  if required.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times (Hull, England), Friday, August 13, 1847; Issue 3264.
Stations of Wesleyan Preachers: Whitby & Darlington District, Middleham, John Imison & Joseph Chapman.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 December 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
The Joseph Imison who advertises himself as wanting work is a tile maker in 1861 Census, with a wife Mary, born Retford, Nottinghamshire-he himself is born in Masham, Yorkshire, so one of your Middleham Imisons.

Clearly a church person, they have two boys called Elijah & Elisha, and daughter called Alice, so maybe into Christopher Robin too!

Do you have access to census information, if not, then Joseph Imison, born Horsehead, is living at 21, Crowtree Road, Bishopwearmouth, an accountant by trade, with daughter Caroline, 13 & son Joseph, 12, both bn. Bishopwearmouth. He dies in that area in 1855.

In the 1861 census there are two brothers, Joseph & Thomas Imison living at same household, Joseph is a coal trimmer with a large family. In 1833, Joseph, no doubt the accountant, as he can vote, he is in the Poll book, has a house in Church Street at Monkwearmouth Shore Township.

I think that the Joseph Imison who had his watch stolen in 1854, is the Joseph above, who in 1833 is in Monkwearmouth Shore, and the same one who dies in 1855.

Tom

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 December 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I don't have current access to census records but when I did I printed them and attached them on my Ancestry Family Tree. Joseph is missing from the 1841 census but he is known to be alive then. His wife Eleanor is living with their two children Joseph and Caroline, my great X 2 grandmother. I am still trying to trace Joseph. Maybe he was visiting his parents in Yorkshire or maybe helping out with the business in Newcastle. On the 1851 census his wife is missing but known to be alive. She died at my great, great grandparent's house in 1878. His occupation is given as accountant but on Caroline's marriage certificate is occupation is given as draper. I have a Newcastle Journal advertisement regarding his shop and premises in Church Street - to Let following his retirement from business in 1839. At first I thought it was his father's business but he died in Yorkshire. I think he just sold the business then maybe went back to it later.
I have the 1861 census of the Imison brothers but I can't find a connection to our family yet. They were born in Sunderland. Maybe my great X 3 came to Sunderland as family were already here. The watch incident is very interesting.
I can't find the Blackett Street and Pilgrim Street shop advertisement. I have looked on Find My Past and Genes Reunited. Where did you find them? Does it mention a name of the shops?
I am following up the Tile Manufactory. The trouble is, there are a lot of Joseph Imisons who have a wife called Mary and they tend to name the children the same too.
Thanks again for all the information. It has given me a lot to go on and I have learned that the family move to Kent.
Julie

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 December 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
By the way, the Mary Imison who married Peter Charles Ostram was my great, great grandmother's sister. Peter Charles Ostram was born in Sweden and was 14 years her senior. My great, great grandfather Edward Anderson was boarding with them at 24 Wear Street, Sunderland at the time of his marriage. I think perhaps they were friends and my great grandfather was named Charles. Edward was also born in Sweden. He is another mystery. I have an almost full account of him after he came here around 1861. They married in December 1862. He was a mariner so I have his Certificate of Competency but it also states 6 years foreign service. I need to find his records in Sweden but it is proving very difficult. All I know is his date of birth 4th October 1837 in Gothenburg. I thought I found him on Family Search but the father's name was Anders Anderson when it is given as Oliver Anderson on the marriage certificate. He signs his name Andersson with a double 's'.  I think my ancestors did all of this on purpose just to keep my busy unravelling their secrets!

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 December 13 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Genie

The newspapers advertisements comes from 19th century British Newspapers available free from my local library online (Leeds), the Newcastle Courant is one of the newspapers. the Newcastle Journal and Sunderland newspapers are from the British Newspaper Archive available either through Find My Past, or through an account with the company itself. In fact there are a number of articles about the Imnison  family in this archive, which I sometimes subscribe too, taking out a 2 day membership.
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

There is a mention of the death of Eleanor in this newspaper:

Friday 18 January 1878 ,  Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette ,  Tyne and Wear, England, if you go to the website you get a sample of the entry, but have to pay for the full one.

The Newcastle Journal in 1915 carried a report of the death of a Joseph Imison, a chemist in Folkestone "—At Folkestone, the 18th June, after much suffering, Joseph Imison, chemist, formerly of this city, ... "Monday 21 June 1915 ,  Newcastle Journal ,  Tyne and Wear, England
Type:  FamilyNotice    Words:  392    Page:  4    Tags: none

Is that one of yours too, as you say you have learnt the family moved to Kent, and one of the Imison's married a chemist.

Tom