Author Topic: Stainton marriage 1762  (Read 1350 times)

Offline broadysword

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stainton marriage 1762
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got the parish records for St Peter and St Paul, Stainton ?
1762 marriage Nov 3. Robert Harland and Jane Rowland. I am trying to find out which parish Robert originated from. Any info from the entry would be most welcome.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Stainton marriage 1762
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
Quite rare to see the actual parish of origin on a parish entry.  Usually just shows "Of this parish" (OTP) - does not necessarily mean they were both born in that parish - just that they satisfied the short residential qualifying time required to enable them to marry there (approx 3wks)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have noticed but familysearch has three entries for this marriage. Two on 2 Nov in York and one on 3 Nov in Stainton. This would indicate to me that either the marriage was by licence and this gave details of their home parish or the banns were read in both places.

The joniermarriageindex has the marriage but they want £2.29 for the details and there is no gurantee as to what details they have transcribed
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline broadysword

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to CaroleW and davidft for their replies. I have consulted both the I.G.I and have the entry for the marriage through the Paul Joiner marriage records. In fact I have searched all available records available online. My hope was that the Stainton parish register entry may have given me,eg from the parish of Newton as this would have solved a lot of problems.

Kind regards, Broady.