Author Topic: Hannah Weston born Calne 17 September 1861  (Read 3115 times)

Offline pink petal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Weston born Calne 17 September 1861
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
 Have been researching my family for years. I am pulling my hair out over this one. Hannah gave birth to my grandmother Lilian on 5th May 1879 in Calne, Wilts .Lilian was born illegitimately with no father on the birth certificate. She was Christened in October of 1879 and her mother Hannah was registered as her mother. After that Hannah disapears and Lilian is then brought up by her grand parents John and Jane Weston in Calne. There is no death registered for Hannah, I can not find a marriage that fits or find a suitable person in the 1881 census for Hannah. I do not know where else to look. HELP. She is a missing link for me.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Weston born Calne 17 September 1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi I note from the 1871 that their were 2 Hannah Weston's born c 1861 Calne, one with family and the other in the Workhouse do you know which is yours? ( Or possibly same one on 2 returns)?

In 1881 their is a Hannah HEATON 20 b Calne in Barton Regis RG11/2480/56/12 which on original could be Weston?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again, which ever Hannah Weston it is in the  1871 Calne and 1881 Bristol marries a George Childs in Dec qtr 1887 Bristol 6a 41, she also appears to have a child prior to marriage ie a Caroline Weston March qtr 1883 Bristol 6a 9 the family can be found in 1891 with George now using the name James George Childs b c 1863 Bristol St Phillip RG12/1986/31/29 and in 1901 as Hannah GILES with James G reverting to George, RG13/2383/126/9

Death Hannah Childs March qtr 1928 Bristol 6a 193 aged 67

Her daughter Caroline looks to have married as Caroline Weston Dec qtr 1903 Bristol 6a 436 to an Isaac Davis

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
Keyboard,

No relation but what a great example of "name changes" through misinterpretations !!! :-)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
The Hannah Heaton looks pretty certain to be Weston comparing other names on the same page.  The enumerator always looped into the vowel after a capital H whereas the vowel was separated after a capital W - Webb further up the page shows this and the shape of the capital W in several instances on the page are all very similar to the initial letter in 'Heaton'.  What is transcribed as an 'a' doesn't look like any other 'a' on the page but the 's' whilst not exactly the same as elsewhere on the page is nearer than an 'a'.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
The reason I fell upon this post is because I thought the "Calne" in the heading said Caine !!! :-)

I have Caine with several spellings in my tree.

I had a transcription for my g grandmother as "Doorhouse".................her name was actually Donoughue again with several spellings :-)

A
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 14 12:44 BST (UK) »
Is this the family 1861

Stone mason George Weston born Calne c 1800,   wife, Sarah.
 this family at The Quarry Calne Wilts.with grandaughter Hannah age 9 mths,

This birth Ref,   Calne 1860    5a  61  Reg Sept 1860.
Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 14 15:33 BST (UK) »
It seems clear that Hannah has been found in 1881 but I can’t find her in 1891, three possible marriages in that intervening period are:

1.  Q2 1882 Abingdon volume 2c page 517 possibly to William Dixon – there are two female and one male names on the page.

Not this one as in 1891 there are two William Dixon families in Wiltshire with wife Hannah but both Hannah’s were born elsewhere than Calne.

2.  Q4 1887 Bristol St Mathias volume 6a page 41 to either George Childs of Samuel John Warren.

Marriage 6 December to George Childs but father named as Alfred Weston but I can’t find any suitable Alfred-Hannah connection in the previous censuses at the moment.  Hannah’s birth year is recorded as 1860.

This does seem quite a good link with her Bristol census appearance in 1881 but the Alfred is a problem.

In 1861 a George Weston and his wife Sarah have their granddaughter Hannah aged 9 months living with them, she is the daughter of their daughter Caroline and was baptised on 14 July 1860.  This Hannah is the one in the Calne Union Poor House as a pauper in 1871.  George’s death seems to be recorded Q2 1868 Calne and a possible death registration for his wife Sarah Q3 1865 at Calne which would explain why Hannah was in the poor house in 1871 – why none of her uncles or aunt took her in begs the question that possibly they weren’t interested after her mother left her with George but there is a marriage for a Caroline at Calne in Q2 1862 which if that’s her mother why didn’t she have her?  This Hannah is the right birth year but why the Alfred?

3.  Q3 1892 Calne volume 5a page 149 to either David Jenkins or Lambert William Britain.

In 1901 Hannah is married to David Jenkins but her birth year is given as about 1868 so not the Hannah we’re looking for.  In 1881 there is a Hannah living with a John and Jane Weston bc 1868 aged 13 which must be her, they also have a daughter Lily aged 1.  This not the Hannah we’re looking for.

Hannah’s situation is made more difficult by there being two John & Jane Weston families having children in Calne in overlapping periods and both have daughters named Hannah and both men’s occupation was Masons (stone masons).  The most likely family are John bc 1831 with daughter Hannah bc 1862 as they have a granddaughter Lillian aged 1 in 1881 which ties in with pink petal's info. 

The Weston's in Calne all seem to be linked to the occupation of Mason/Stone mason as George was a stone mason's labourer and his three sons stone masons plusI noted at least a couple of others while looking through census returns.  Maybe all descended from an earlier ancestor - might be worth following up as this might unlock the Hannah mystery.

Intriguing story.

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 August 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
1871 John Weston 40 mason,wife Jane   ref,1871,Calne,Dis 6,RG 10,Piece 1901,Folio 97,page 17.
Daughters,Sarah Weston Dom servant,14.
Hannah Weston 9 scholar.
Eliza 6,Emily 3,Mary Jane 1,living at Quarry,Calne Wilts.
Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk