Author Topic: Down, Down  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Down, Down
« on: Wednesday 01 October 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
I found reference on 'Family Search' to a great uncle born 1877 in 'Down, Down'.
Is or was there a town or village named Down within County Down?
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Down, Down
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Was it a submitted or extracted record? Submitted records can have some really strange placenames in the IGI.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 20:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was quite surprised to find it was indeed an extracted record.
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
Just a guess but wonder if it's supposed to be Downpatrick, Co. Down? have you tried looking for other members of the family to see if there's a different place listed?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 21:16 BST (UK) »
His sister was born Belfast 1870, there were two other brothers born 1853 and 1855, but I have not been able to find their birth records. His 1877 birth was the last before the family moved to England circa 1880. I'm tempted to obtain his birth certificate to get all the details! Thanks for your input.
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
PS - In case anyone could please have more success in finding the siblings than I have, they were Samuel Nelson Thomson c 1853 and Alexander Burns Thomson c 1855.
The brother that I had found was William Blackwood Thomson 28.2.1877. Thanks
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 08 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Cyfran, Down has confused me too over the years, but it is the civil parish that includes over 10 townlands and Downpatrick itself.   Ros Davies has a map of the parish. her website is worth your exploring for the Thomson, although I didnt quickly find anything for you.
so
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/DownTownlands.htm
Best regards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 October 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Jim. Couldn't find my Thomsons, but the maps are very interesting in themselves. Regards, Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 October 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
Because that generation of siblings all have second names that were surnames, ie Blackwood Burns and Nelson, together they suddenly rang a bell with Thomson. It’s still speculation of course.   I went back to an old index I made about 1962 to the Blackwood Family History Manuscripts.  LinenHall Library, Belfast.   The collection is mainly focused towards County Down families. 
All three names together with Thomson appear below, but they may all be red herrings to your particular quest,  in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall Library, Belfast.  A visit with warning would be best.  A librarian might look up one or two references for you, but there will be limits quickly as to what can be done free.
The problem next would be to ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and you should be prepared to pay a fee for copying, post and packing, and perhaps some staff time and overheads. But there is to much to photocopy in my opinion. So I suggest you try one surname at the most and rationalise that one somehow.  However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds.  Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email: <irish.reference[at]linenhall.com>.
Blackwood   Vol 6p22 Belfast, Vol 16N Dublin, Vol 33, Vol 35 loose, Vol 51Price, Vol 71 Memoirs 1930 & Memoirs1938, Vol 72 Castlenavin (Coloured), Vol 72N, Vol 96T Blackwood  Price
Blackwood-Price   Vol 26p19 and Vol 51
Burns   Vol 31 McMurry
Nelson     Vol 5p76, Vol 35T, Vol 52 Downpatrick, Vol 53 Downpatrick, Vol 54 Downpatrick
Thompson   Vol 1N, Vol 8p87 Bertha House, Vol 13p71 Cleland, Vol 17, Vol 27 Waring, Vol 28
Thomson   Vol 10p83 Magheragall, Vol 10p131, Vol 11p117 Clough, Vol 14p22 Annahilt, Vol 14p203 Castleton Jennymount, Vol 23 Newry?
The T means transferred, as obsolete,but sometimes the notes are no linked.  N is for notes sometimes apart from tree in the same volume usually at the end pages.

However although very tempting if you live nr Belfast, but I sense you don’t, I further suggest then a little bit more internet hunting and definitely acquiring the 1877 b certificate for William Blackwood Thomson 28.2.1877.  [I presume it’s a registrar entry]. Or acquire a friend who could look up the items for you.   

Ant further hunting has not resulted in anything  obvious for you. The nearest possibly relevant one I think is 1878 THOMSON SAMUEL 1878 JAMES Antrim, recorded at The Ulster Historical Foundation, this could be the same person and is a late baptism etc. I tried www.emerald ancestors without obvious success.

Missing information is a church etc, where more records may exist.
It’s a shame that Caora.net has not yet resurfaced as something might exist in their archives. You appear to know the daughters details?

I am off to see what street directories on Mary Lennon‘s 1880 website. I have recently hunted for the nail maker Thomson who turns up erlier. The 1880 is most curious, there are only the following spelt without the ‘p’, many of the other spelling are listed

Thomson, James M., managing director General Finance Co. Ltd., Atlas Chambers, Skipper Street, res., 23 University Square (See Advertisement) 
Thomson, Mrs., Low-Wood
Thomson, Robt., J.P., Walton, Fortwilliam Park
Thomson, Rollins, fruit merchant, Oxford Street
You could try the next earlier directory [I thinks its 1870?]and see who s missing in 1880.?

Did any of the family die in Ireland, ie Belfasts Clifton street cemetery is indexed
What you have found in England in the census etc Did the father die there? Is his occupation listed
Now that I look over the above whats missing is anything about the Thomson father!!! That birth certificate is needed, make sure if you can it is the most detailed available.
Now I must stop, over to you and very good luck, do let us know how you get on, regards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide