Author Topic: John Stewart census Thornhill  (Read 7532 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart census Thornhill
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you're interested in the attached newspaper item.

Whilst I was researching my Agnes Brown of Glasgow but born 1792 in Thornhill, Perthshire (father; Thos Brown, currier working in a Tannery & mother Janet Ferguson).  I came across a Caledonian Mercury newspaper announcement dated 28th August 1802 giving notification of the auction of a Tannery, which may be the one your ancestors worked in.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Rena I had the text from one of the sites but not the actual newspaper photocopy. 

The tannery was bought using (I think) the proceeds of the estate left by Walter Dog to his daughter Isobel [Dog] Stewart wife of John Stewart Sasine: Jan. 28, 1798.  Isobel and John were parents of James, Walter [my line], John, David and Isobel (Isobel is the only daughter I can find trace of and by sheer chance only mentioned on the gravestone of her sister-in-law Helen Mitchell, so I have 2 missing daughters their first names crucial to going back further)

Certainly by 1810 [Synopsis of the evidence on grazing from CS235/H/22/1, Pursuer’s Proof, evidence given at Thornhill 14 May 1810] suggests James owns the Tannery at that time "James Stewart, tanner in Thornhill, unmarried about 40 years; he served Peter Mitchell, tenant of the land now belonging to John Paterson, defender, for 4 years ending about 21 years ago ................ "
and 1841 the Tannery was owned by the eldest son James Stewart husband of Helen Mitchell, from my records -
In 1841 James was a tanner in Old Town, Thornhill, Kincardine, Perth with his wife Helen and son James. In 1851 he was a tanner on High Street, Thornhill with Helen and children James and Isabella. [In 1841 both James and Walter's sons both John 20 & 30 are living with their uncles John and David in High Street]

1841 Parish Number 364
address Old Town Thornhill

James Stewart age 70 Tanner all born Perthshire
Hellen Stewart age 55
James Stewart age 20 Currier J.

1841 Parish Number 364
address Old Town Thornhiill

John Stewart age 65 Musician all born Perthshire
David Stewart age 55 shoe M
John Stewart age 30 Tanner J
John Stewart age 20 Tanner J

Does that help at all with your Brown line?
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 October 13 15:12 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome fifer.  It's always nice to have sight of original documentation. I've had that newspaper item for a few years now hoping it would give a tenuous link to my Ferguson line but I'm no nearer now than I was then.

Best wishes, Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 November 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
On your Fergusons Rena had you checked this line out for a connection? 

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=doigk&id=I38878

In particular the mother is a Janet Ferguson and the names "Janet" and "Agnes Brown" appear in the childrens names.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 November 13 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again fifer,
Thanks for the unexpected response.  I've had a look but unfortunately the dates are too late.

My Agnes Brown was born circa 1792 and I first had sight of her in the 1841 census, living as a widow with teenage boys in Little Dovehill, Glasgow. She gave her place of birth as Thornhill, Perthshire.  A Janet Brown was a witness to the baptism of son no.1 (John) in Calton (at the time it was near Glasgow), Thomas was the second son. 

Her death certificate was signed by son John, which gave her parents as Janet Ferguson and Thomas Brown, currier (I believe the occupation is with tanning hides).   I wasn't able to find any records of a Thomas Brown marrying a Janet Ferguson.  If I remember correctly there was a period when the government demanded a tax be paid for all weddings and it's possible the vicar married them on the quiet (so to speak).

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 November 13 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Currier could have two meanings Rena, though in this case the colouring/dressing of tanned hides is the most likely, the other being what we now call a horse "groom" or groomer (comes from the use of a curry comb to remove mud/clean the coat).

I'll have a look and see what I can find on Janet Ferguson marriages and/or Agnes Ferguson/Brown births Thornhill or surrounding parishes.

In my time frame 1720-1800 for John Stewart none of his daughters were baptised, seems the church must not have insisted on it or the minister was a misogynist!  ;D

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I haven't responded earlier fifer, but a bolt of lightning decided to have fun splattering 'phones and computers in this area last week and I didn't receive a replacement computer until today.

Thanks for your thoughts on the occupation, yes I know about the curry comb used on horses and I did keep that in mind.  A bit confusing when I also have an 18th century "(h)ostler" in one of my branches who looked after horses.  There's also the question of whether the old writing should have read "cArrier" (as opposed to cUrrier), which would mean that he delivered goods with a horse and wagon lol

However, I was lucky in that I found online evidence on a Glasgow history site that the earlier owner of the tannery had moved his business to the Glasgow area, which is probably where Agnes met her husband John, a nailer of Calton.  Here again, no record of this Lanarkshire marriage circa 1814-1815 or of the baptism of John the nailer & Agnes's first son (another John) but luckily the vicar who baptised their second son (once again named John) made a note that the baby boy was a 2nd child.