Author Topic: Parish records for Middlesbrough? Potentially silly question....  (Read 11566 times)

Offline JennyMarieGradwell

• RootsChat Member
  • http://oneateleven.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Parish records for Middlesbrough? Potentially silly question....
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Having researched my Dad's side of the tree quite a way back in Manchester, I've recently moved over to my Mum's side, based primarily around Middlesbrough (at least for the first 2 or 3 generations).

This might seem like a silly question, but how come I don't see the lovely & helpful parish records of marriages/baptisms when I'm searching in North Riding? In Lancashire I found lots of helpful hints on Fathers' names, occupations, etc etc..... They just don't seem to be on offer around Middlesbrough. Am I missing something? ???

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jenny.

ETA: I am searching using an Ancestry.co.uk membership and I am fairly sure the family was Catholic (rather than the CofE branch in Manchester).
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records for Middlesbrough? Potentially silly question....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 08:57 GMT (UK) »
What years are you looking at?     There were various churches in Middlesbrough and the immediate area.   Have you looked to see what the record office there has?    The library has records too.   Lots of transcripts available if you can get there.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Middlesbrough/index.html#Churches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sillgen. As an example, these are my great grandparents:

John William Blythman
Birth July 1898 in Guisborough, Yorkshire North Riding, United Kingdom
Death Dec 1941 in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire North Riding, England

Marriage March 1924 to...

Edith Long
Birth April 1898 in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire North Riding, United Kingdom
Death Dec 1962 in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire North Riding, England

I can only find the Index records, no parish records of marriages or baptisms seem to come up :(
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Only a few places have parish records digitised on Ancestry - you're fortunate if you have ancestors from one of those areas. Most of West Yorkshire is there, but not North Yorkshire. I believe most of the rest of the Yorkshire parish records are currently being digitised and will be available via Find My Past later this year. Someone else might now more about it.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Ah ok thanks JMStrachan. I thought it might be something like that. Yes, I am very lucky to have been able to trace the Lancashire clan back so far - the lack of Parish records makes it much tougher for an amateur like me!

Thanks for the help :)
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
If you can get to Middlesbrough, the Reference Library now has all the parish records on microfilm, they took them over from Teesside Archives a couple of years ago.  TA still has the transcripts and some records transcribed onto CDs.

If you use the website Tees Valley Indexes:

http://www.middlesbrough-indexes.co.uk/index.php

you can look up the marriages and get a reference number.  Although this number is for ordering certs through the Register Office, it can be used to find out which church the couple used; thus your Edith Long in 1924 gives the reference starting with M201.  If you look at this RootsChat posting:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,523856.0.html

this tells you that the marriage took place at St Paul's, Middlesbrough.  The microfilms at Middlesbrough Ref Library should cover this date and you can take a copy for 50p - much better value than £9.25 from the GRO! 

I think Teesside Archives have also retained the Nonconformist records and possibly the Catholic ones too, but an email will tell you that, I think this is the right address:

teesside_archives [at] middlesbrough.gov.uk

replacing [at] with @ or phone 01642 248391.

Baptism & Burial records are also at the Ref Library. 

FamilySearch.org has some records online: Baptisms: C060811 & C060814.  Marriages: M060811 M060812 M060813 M060814 which I think all refer to St Hilda's Parish Church, also M163461 Wesleyan Methodist Circuit.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Do you live near an LDS family history centre?   They are listed on familysearch.org and you can order the films of most parish records to search there if you can't visit the area.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Only a few places have parish records digitised on Ancestry - you're fortunate if you have ancestors from one of those areas. Most of West Yorkshire is there, but not North Yorkshire. I believe most of the rest of the Yorkshire parish records are currently being digitised and will be available via Find My Past later this year. Someone else might now more about it.

Funnily enough I emailed findmypast yesterday to ask if there was an update when the records would be online. Their reply (below) was encouraging.

"We're getting closer! expect news soon. They aren't the next on the list but things are progressing well!"

Who knows I might finally find out where my several times great grandfather came from  :)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 January 14 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone - wonderfully helpful as always  :D

Unfortunately it's a bit tricky for me to get back to Middlesbrough, though I visit a few times a year to see my Nana so I'll perhaps try and schedule a visit to see parish records the next time :)
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.