Author Topic: Church of England Confirmation Record  (Read 1049 times)

Offline KatieK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church of England Confirmation Record
« on: Friday 29 August 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone might be able to help me with a genealogical/ecclesiastical query I have come across. 

Whilst attempting to track down and establish the correct missing female relative in 1920's London, I have come across a London, Church of England Confirmation record for what appears to be her.  However I do know that she would have been eight months pregnant at this time.

Is it likely that the Church of England would agree to confirm a woman out of wedlock who would visibly appear to be pregnant. Or would this be absolutely forbidden.

If it is extremely unlikely then I clearly have the wrong person, and need to look elsewhere,
Any help or advice would be most appreciated,
Many thanks,
Kate

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church of England Confirmation Record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 August 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
There is no reason at all why she should not have been confirmed, as long as she had been baptized, also she could not take Holy Communion until she had been confirmed.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KatieK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Church of England Confirmation Record
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 August 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Stan,
I was assuming the Anglican Church would be more liberal on these matters, but needed some 'confirmation'.  I wonder if the ancestor I am researching felt a need to get some validation of her faith before the birth of her child, particularly since she would be giving him up for adoption?  I suppose I might never know her motives.

Many thanks again for your help and advice,
Kate