Author Topic: Alexander Jack Laurie, Dunscore  (Read 2427 times)

Offline McCabe 5275

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Jack Laurie, Dunscore
« on: Sunday 15 December 13 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching Alex & his wife Agnes . They had no children , but started a Historic Scholarship ( The A J Laurie Scholarship ) in New Zealand . They had adopted a family member of Alex , Helen May Laurie (Nellie)  who left for NZ 1900 aged 8 . Alex left for Aust 1881 , then to NZ . Wondering if any of his relatives are interested . The boy from Dunscore done good. My son received the Scholarship , thus my interest in these people. Nellie was the daughter of Jane Laurie. Cheers Malcolm
Laurie

Offline McCabe 5275

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Jack Laurie, Dunscore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Also , would anyone know of any photographs of A J Laurie , or Nellie . Or where I should look . Dunscore School , but did schools take photos back then ? Alex was a builder / mason . His father George was an Inn Keeper. Alex achieved a lot in NZ & Aust . A good Scot . He & his wife Agnes were noble people. Nellie Left for NZ , listed as illegitimate . She married , had a son , named him Laurie Alexander   Anderson . Totally after the man who took her in . That son Laurie Alexander Anderson joins the Royal NZ Airforce . In 1965 goes to London to receive his Knighthood from the Queen. Cheers again Malcolm.
Laurie