Author Topic: Moffat/Tait  (Read 5571 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Moffat/Tait
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 December 13 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

Please throw as many options as you can as everything is very much appreciated.

Thank you for the marriage in Glasgow of Mary. Hadn't thought of her husband being deceased  and her re-marrying.

I shall have a look at the this on Scotland's People and with some needed luck, might be able to view it. Did wonder if I was outside of the period where you can view these entries online on SP. Thanks for confirming this.

Yes, it was the marriage entry mentioned by iandj. From this I got Mary & James's ages and Mary was living at 24 Brooke Street, Dumfries - James 43 Kilnside Road, Paisley. James's father was a Iron Moulder. James Tait was a butcher (journeyman)

Mary's mother's maiden name was MacDonald

Will look for Mary's death on SP.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 December 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »

Looked up the marriage you mentioned for Mary in 1944, although I was unable to view it, it gave his name as Francis NEAGLE, Gorbals, Glasgow.

Mary's father was still alive in 1944 and may have put her second marriage in the local paper, certainly worth a search. So, I'll visit the library again.

Also looked for a James TAIT death 1940/43 on SP. I looked at 4 possibles but, none of them him and takes too many credits to guess and get wrong.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 December 13 18:45 GMT (UK) »

I am not too sure about the marriage in 1944. As Mary was a local girl I thought there might have been a notice in the paper, had she re-married, there isn't.

Went to the library this afternoon and checked for any births in our local paper, between 1938/1950 and found one for Mary and James TAIT. They had a son, born 20 June 1939 in a Nursing Home, Glasgow. It also gives their full home address. Looks like an only child.

At least I know they moved to Glasgow.

Where does one go from here  :-\

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 December 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
iandj,

Forgot to mention I got the death entry for Mary MacDonald (Maimie) MOFFAT and James S. S. TAIT, Paisley. The good thing about Scottish certs they give you more information.

Many thanks

cupcake

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 December 13 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hard period here cupcake, as you know, to be more definitive  :-\ Xmas wish, to sit in front of a SP terminal viewing all modern certs  ;)

Happy people we would all be!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 December 13 21:56 GMT (UK) »

Certainly is a hard period Monica.

I like a challenge, but this is too much for my tiny grey cells. If only there had been post-it stickers around back then, they could have left us some clues  ;D

I like your   :-\ Christmas wish - if only wishes came true though  ;)

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 December 13 13:26 GMT (UK) »
The only way I will be able to access the birth entry is to go to Edinburgh and go through the records.

Will do this next year when the weather improves.

cupcake

Offline EESS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 May 21 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Cupcake,
I'm new to this site and just came across your posts.  Robert J. Moffat is also my Great Grandfather. As a matter of fact, the photo of him in your post was posted by me on another site.
By the sounds of it, you must live in Scotland, unfortunately I live in Canada so access to record offices is not easy for me, however I do have a lot of old family photos and original birth records.
According to several sources, Robert J. died Feb 4 1926.
He and his first wife, Margaret Mein had 7 children (2 girls - 5 boys). After Margaret passed, Robert J married Annie McLaren on 18 Feb 1889 and together they had one child, a son, Robert Johnstone.  Robert Jr. died 31 Jan 1899.  Cause of death; Heart Disease -3 years, Bronchitis -8 days, Congestion of the lungs -6 days.   Source: Death Record (Scotland’s People).
In 1910, Robert J's son, George, and his family at the time immigrated to Canada and finally settled in Vancouver, British Columbia.  George and his wife, Jane MacKay had 5 children (4 girls - 1 boy).
I have great deal more information on the Moffat side of the family, but nothing on the Tait side, so your post is of great interest to me.  Anything you would share would be greatly appreciated.
I have been very fortunate to connect virtually with 3 second cousins (2 in Scotland and one in Australia) all of which have provided me with a great deal of helpful information.
As I mentioned, I'm new to this site, so I hope you get this message.