Author Topic: 3rd October 1918, John Edwin Olive, 33, 1st 4th Leicestershire Regiment  (Read 273 times)

Offline PJWO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3rd October 1918, John Edwin Olive, 33, 1st 4th Leicestershire Regiment
« on: Friday 24 October 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
John Edwin was my paternal grandfather, and his death occured just about 4 years after the death of my maternal grandfather William James Green (see post).  He was survived by his wife Sarah Ann (Sally) and five children.  He is remembered by 19 grandchildren and many great grandchildren.  He was mortally wounded while in no-mans-land during preparations for the actions of the Battle of St Quentin Canal while serving with the 1st 4th Leicesters and died a few weeks later.  The memories of two of his children tell that he was serving in Ireland in 1916, in Dublin and the South West (Dingle Bay region).  From this I deduce that he first served with the 2nd 4th or 2nd 5th Battalions and later was transferred to the 1st 4th when these units were disbanded or reduced during 1917 but I need confirmation of my summise. He had earlier seen action in the Boer War and may have been a territorial called up on the outbreak of the war. His widow did not remarry and is very fondly remembered as a dear Granny by her 19 grandchildren.   

The two postings are made in memory of the two much missed husbands, fathers and grandfathers.

Lovers Lost
Husbands sorely missed
Grandfathers never known
not forgotten