Author Topic: Rev. George Turner SEYMOUR (Tyntesfield)  (Read 35578 times)

Offline seymour14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev. George Turner SEYMOUR (Tyntesfield)
« on: Friday 30 April 10 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand, I am trying to find any family members related to George Turner Seymour or his father George Penrose Seymour who may be left in England, that may be able to assist me with my quest on discovering there lives and times.
 I know some of their stories, but am trying to track down any remaining family who may have had connections via the surnames Coleridge, Richardson, Sewell, Metford, Wright etc... The jackpot for me would be someone who has photos of family members from the 1860's to 1880's as my intentions is to write a book on the family history.
 Please reply if you are a relative!
 I already have every snippet of information available from the internet, and from books, what I need now is family members to appear out of the woodwork!
Thanks for any help.

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. George Turner SEYMOUR (Tyntesfield)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 May 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
hi
Just a thought If you have the family connection on census in uk, it maybe to your advantage to give the info. I have noted when detailed info is placed the over all story can be seen and it might be the info that another person is looking for and hence a family connection is found. If you don't have info ask for the help and that will work also.
Like I said just a thought
cheers cardiff ;)
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline seymour14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 10 01:12 BST (UK) »
I will give this a go for a while, I have the funny feeling that I have most of what there is to know, many of the books I have read on the Seymour's of this period are quite wrong with a lot of their detail, this makes me wonder if there is anyone out there who knows any better! I am truly hoping so.
 George Turner Seymour had many sons and daughters: Marrianne Billingsley (1815-1849) married Robert Burleigh Sewell, from Isle of Wight (his brother Henry was recognised as first Prime Minister of New Zealand).
 George Alexander (1816-1838) who died young and was buried at Kings College Chapel.
 Mary Louisa (1820-1880) married Dr Ralph Richardson of Greenfield Hall, Flintshire.
 John Billingsley (1822-1843) Scholar of Newcastle and Balliol college who also died young.
 Jane Fortescue (1824-1878)  married John Duke Coleridge, who became Lord Chief Justice of England.
 Henry Fortescue (1826-1900) married Bessie (daughter of Bishop Lloyd), he was Rector of Barking.
 Harriette Anne,(1830-1915) Spinster. Emily Catherine,(1833-1922) Spinster.
 Arthur Penrose(1832-1923) & Herbert Cam (1835-1915) who came to Marlborough Province, New Zealand.
The Wrights and Metfords are linked via marriage from George Penrose Seymours sisters. Joseph Metford married Louisa Cam Seymour and Harriette Ann Seymour married a William Wright. (Both gentleman were Merchants of Bristol).
Thanks for any leads to family members.

Offline tyntes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a volunteer for the National Trust at Tyntesfield, and researching its' history involves Belmont as you know. The name is Terry by the way.
I will send you a photo of a memorial in Wraxall Church which will give you some more info, but the dates do not seem to match up with those you have.
Louisa Seymour's maiden name was Cam. The Rev George Turner Seymour married Marianne Billingsley.
Belmont was leased to George Gibbs in 1828, the year after GPS's death, by GTS and MS, and sold to GG in 1832. In October 1842 the Seymours offered Tyntesfield to William Gibbs, Cousin of George Gibbs of Belmont, he agreed to buy in June 1843 and finally paid the money (£21295 3s) in April 1844. One book says the Seymours decided to go to the Isle of Wight after the death of 2 sons, but this may be incorrect.
You may know that the Belmont estate was left to GPS by a William Turner, probably late 1800's.
Feel free to contact if you wish, maybe email will be easier.
Regards
Terry

Offline tyntes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
sorry wrong pic, will try again!!

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
there you go!
cheers cardiff ;)

Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline seymour14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 August 10 07:51 BST (UK) »
 :)Thanks very much ( I did have this picture, as I contacted Wraxall Church 6 months ago ), but all the same thanks very much. My dates are all correct, the ones you have quoted are other family members. George Penrose Seymour 1766-1827, his wife who died in 1853, GTS's brother (Henry) and wife, and GTS. My dates relate  to GTS sons and daughters.
 By the way ( I am about to ruin history here ), the Gibbs family did not name Tyntesfield!!! It was called Tyntesfield by the Seymour's after their refit, it was named this by 1838, while they still owned it. The Gibbs have had all the benefit of this name conferred on them in every book I have read on the subject. They are all wrong!! Also much of the early Seymour's work has been written out of history in the same manner, that's why I am writing a book, to set the scene straight again.
 Thanks for the help, if you need to know more, I look forward to your comments.
Cheers.

Offline tyntes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 August 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I agree with your dates GPS and Louisa, of course they are on the tablet. I am now truly intrigued by what you have found out, can you tell me (and the National Trust) or I have I got to wait for the book? I would of course respect your wishes and keep confidential any info you deemed so.

I see I made a mistake with William Turner leaving the house in the 'late  1800', I of course ment the late 1700s.

I am sending some photos of the house, which you may already have, but in case you have not it won't hurt. Tynt1 is , as far as we know, the house purchased by William in 1844. Tynt 2&3 shows the house after Foster's alterations , believed completed in 1844. The gothic mansion there today was done between 1863 and1865 with John Norton the architect.
You may be correct about the name, but will you tell me your reasoning? The diary entry for Sat 8th October 1842, says 'Mr Seymour.... offered Tyntesfield to William, this was of course before William agreed to buy it!

As you may know the Gibbs' archive has been taken by the family and remains closed. It was only for a short while after Lord Wraxall's death, when James Miller wrote 'Fertile Fortune' which has some errors. The book which has most credence was written by David Hogg called Diaries of Tyntesfield, basically the diaries of the extended Gibbs family who were all very close, and so we get a good picture of what went on. For info the ISBN 978-0-9554457-3-6.

Look forward to the next instalment.
Regards
Terry

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 August 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can't wait either!
cheers cardiff :o