Esthar ELKIN Christened 28 June 1765, Scropton, Derbyshire**
Mother JANE Elkin
(Source Familysearch.Org)

JANE Elkin Christened 10 August 1744,   Scropton, Derbyshire, Father WM Elkin
(F/S.Org)

Possible Marriage;
Jane ELKIN/William WALKER, 5 December 1769, Ripley, Derbyshire,
(F/S.Org)
William/Jane Christened 2 Children Scropton (may be others elsewhere)
WILLIAM 12 April 1770
ELIZABETH 10 Nov 1771
(F/S.Org)

ESTHER Archer Buried 2 June 1842, Hanbury, Stafford
(F/S.Org)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mutly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elkin
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 November 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Trish.  This is very helpful.  I haven't spent too much time yet on this lineage but had come to a stop.  Esther Elkin b1765 was a GGGGG Grandmother of mine. 

Esthar ELKIN Christened 28 June 1765, Scropton, Derbyshire**
Mother JANE Elkin
(Source Familysearch.Org)  Excellent - thanks.  The baptism records I could find for Scropton had lots of Elkins but had a big time gap just in the wrong place for Esther. 

JANE Elkin Christened 10 August 1744,   Scropton, Derbyshire, Father WM Elkin
(F/S.Org)      Thanks. 

Possible Marriage;
Jane ELKIN/William WALKER, 5 December 1769, Ripley, Derbyshire,
(F/S.Org)     
               So married some time after Esther's birth......thanks. 
William/Jane Christened 2 Children Scropton (may be others elsewhere)
WILLIAM 12 April 1770
ELIZABETH 10 Nov 1771
(F/S.Org)

ESTHER Archer Buried 2 June 1842, Hanbury, Stafford
(F/S.Org)  Yes this tallies with what I found.  I visited St Werburghs church at Hanbury in September and photographed various gravestones.  The only one that I have so far found definitely ties in with my family is that of Esther's parents-in-law;  John Archer and Ann, nee Sharratt.  John b1732 died 1815, Ann born~1740 died 1812, so they would have been about during Esther's time. 

Esther's husband, Thomas Archer b 1766, died 1851, is most likely 1 of 2 Thomas Archers that were shown on the 1839 tithe maps as owning a property and renting various fields around the Hanbury, Coton, Doveridge vicinity so her life probably became relatively good. 

Esther's son Thomas Archer, b 1789, d1871, a carpenter, is shown on the same tithe maps as renting a property - part of Coton Hall's buidlings nearby - possibly for a son to live in?? - plus a small potato field/garden - plus what is most likely to be his own house and workshops on the main road at Hanbury.  I live on the Isle of Wight but travel about monthly to see my aged mother near Blackpool - and intend to visit the Hanbury/Tutbury/Scropton/Coton area again soon.  Mum's mum was born Christine Archer so it is her side of the family that were in the vicinity for at least more than a century. 

Now I should really try and trace the Elkins forwards towards today. 
Are you an Elkin?

Paul Lyon
Isle of Wight