Author Topic: help with my irish ancesters living in wolverhampton  (Read 9469 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with my irish ancesters living in wolverhampton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Aaah, yes, that couple (with Mother's Maiden Name Cowen or Cowan) also had an Anne baptised at Holy Trinity in December 1852.

[added: No CASEYs with father John, baptised at Holy Trinity]
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: st patricks wolverhampton lookup please
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 13:39 GMT (UK) »
hey thanks for the quick reply
Would the original baptism have the fathers occuption ?i believe he died before 1871 theres is a death in 1868 q4 wolverhampton aged on 14 could he be that young and be married with children?

Catholic baptisms do not usually record the father's occupation but, if they are entered in a printed pro-forma register, they will normally have the mother's maiden name and the names of the godparents recorded, and the date of birth of the child as well as the date of baptism.

Completed Wolverhampton catholic registers and films of them are deposited at the Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives at St Chad's Cathedral in Birmingham.  Copies of some of the films are also held at Wolverhampton Archives.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: st patricks wolverhampton lookup please
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 18:06 GMT (UK) »
?i believe he died before 1871

Mary is shown as married in 1871 and living with her parents David & Julia Stephens

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5RY-PY7

Although it's not unknown for a widow/widower to show as married on a census it's possible he was not deceased pre-1871

Unless he was a mariner and died at sea

Moderator Comment: Topics merged to keep information together and avoid covering the same ground twice.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone sorry for taking a while to reply ive just got home from work.
I dont know john caseys parents yet so patrick casey could be his father, there is a patrick casey living in the same address in 1861  as my family was in 1871.
Ive ordered sarah caseys birth cert of 1867, john casey and mary stephens marriage of 1866, mary caseys second marriage of 1877 her death cert of 1924 so hopefully i will get some answers from these hopefully a age is given on john caseys marriage cert of 1866 and his fathers name.
regards dave

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hey again everyone the certs have came!
The marriage between john casey and mary stephens cert says the following, 18 february 1866 and st mary and st johns catholic church john casey aged 22 years bachelor, coal labourer, residence canal street, father michael casey (deceased) farm labourer and mary stephens aaged 21 (actually 16) spinstera iron worker makers assistant father david stephens a coal miner.
on marys second marriage cert says the following
st johns wolverhampton 22 dec 1877 james george aged 26 labourer church lane father james george plasterer and mary adelaide casey aged 25 widow and this time no fathers details given.
Can anyone find out more for me of john apparently born around 1846 with father michael
many thanks in advanced dave

Offline adamstaines73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 December 13 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I found your post when looking up Coles Croft; it was for the same reason as you, Mary Stephens is a blood relative of my wife, Mary's brother David is the wifes 4th ggfather. Let me know if you want to exchange info.

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 October 14 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi this is a old thread of mine but after 2 years ive still had no luck finding John casey supposing born 1844 and living in Wolverhampton, his wife mary remarried in 1877 and was a widow, I have found a burial at merridale cemetery of a Michael casey aged 29 on 30 may 1876 at canal street Wolverhampton which fits in..... did sometimes the Irish ancesters change their names if for example they was a troublesome person hense being hard to find in census records etc and when he died his name could of been given as Michael ( which in his marriage of 1866 he gave as his fathers name?)

Also mary stephens/stevens his wife who was baptised 14 may 1849 her parents were Julia McHale and david stephens, in 1851 census they was at caribee island mary at this point was only child aged 2 born Wolverhampton, I cannot find a marriage between a david stevens and Julia McHale, could they of came from Ireland after marrying and before mary was born in 1849?