Author Topic: James and McLellan family Winipeg, bit stuck, where do I go next?  (Read 3698 times)

Offline johngosling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James and McLellan family Winipeg, bit stuck, where do I go next?
« on: Thursday 27 November 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've got for the first time out many thousands of names in my tree a Canadian connection, a great grand uncle on my wife's side.

So the story starts with Samuel William James (1870-1956), born Leicester, died Winnipeg

He, his Wife, Sarah Ann (Walker) and daughter Edith May James, arrived in Winnipeg in 1910, where they settled.

I have a nice newspaper story I found on his retirement, which talks about his birth in Leicester, his work at Wolverton Rail Works in Buckinghamshire, and then his work in Canada.

I've also just received a copy of his will which gives me the married name of his daughter (she was an only child) and her husband's full name, Richard Catherall McLellan.

There are a few records, marriage, death of Edith in Kelowna popping up on ancestry.co.uk, but nothing for any children of Edith and Richard, I'm assuming because it looks like birth records in Canada are restricted by a 100 year rule.

So I'm not sure where to go next, or if indeed there's much scope left to try and find any children of Edith and Richard.

Might anyone be able to point me, as a newbie to Canadian records, on where to go next?

Regards

John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James and McLellan family Winipeg, bit stuck, where do I go next?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Edith May James married Richard Catherall McLellan 2 Mar.1929 at Winnipeg, Manitoba according to Manitoba Marriage Index.
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:25 GMT (UK) »
The informant on the death cert for Edith May McLellan was the funeral director - perhaps they had no children  ??? Edith was the informant for Richard who died before her in 1973.

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/DisplayGenealogyImage?k=bd454cc7-5bfe-4638-b9c5-f164d8a6a5d1

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/DisplayGenealogyImage?k=19b2d2f6-d9c0-49d4-bb5e-515793f85e49

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline johngosling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 14 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic documents, thanks so much. That's definitely the right people, ticks every box as far as details of life. Yes, it does look like it's the end of the line. Such a shame, I was hoping there might be some Canadian relatives out there.

The informant on the death cert for Edith May McLellan was the funeral director - perhaps they had no children  ??? Edith was the informant for Richard who died before her in 1973.

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/DisplayGenealogyImage?k=bd454cc7-5bfe-4638-b9c5-f164d8a6a5d1

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/DisplayGenealogyImage?k=19b2d2f6-d9c0-49d4-bb5e-515793f85e49

Sandra

Offline johngosling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking this up.

Regards

John

Edith May James married Richard Catherall McLellan 2 Mar.1929 at Winnipeg, Manitoba according to Manitoba Marriage Index.
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 November 14 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I believe they did have a son. I was taking a look at the Winnipeg Free Press Archives and found a possible match so I then checked the Henderson Directories for Winnipeg. I found there was a Richard C. McLellan who was a storeman for the CNR living at 1412 Lincoln Avenue in 1943 and 1944. In the 10 Aug 1944 edition of the Winnipeg Free Press there is a small announcement which says "Caterers Announce War Stamp Winners" and one of the names listed was E.* McLellan of 1412 Lincoln Avenue. I wasn't able to find Richard in the directories for a number of years but there were references to an E.* McLellan who was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard McLellan of Sioux Lookout, Ontario. The CNR does go through Sioux Lookout so it certainly would be a strong possibility that Richard transferred there.

The 24 Jan 1953 edition of the Free Press has a write-up about the marriage of E.R. McLellan to Alelia May Denyer on 17 Jan 1953. E.R. is said to be the son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard McLellan of Sioux Lookout, Ontario. If this is the right family, there is an obituary from 2004 for Alelia McLellan. Here is a link to an obituary that was in the Winnipeg Free Press: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e9u/
and I found a recent picture of her grave marker at Find a Grave:
http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2014/270/136533113_1411924628.jpg

Also, if you think this could be their son, I can send you some of the articles from the Winnipeg Free Press if you PM me your email address.

Jacquie

*I haven't found a death for him so he may still be alive so I've only put his initial(s) in my post.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 November 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I found a brief obituary for Sam William James in the 9 Oct 1956 edition of the Free Press. It mentions he was survived by a daughter, Mrs. R. McLellan, a grandchild and two great-grandchildren. I've attached the obituary for you.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 14 09:54 GMT (UK) »
The 19 Mar 1929 Free Press had this brief write-up about the marriage of Edith and Richard:

McLellan-James
The wedding took place March 2 at Holy Trinity church, of Edith May, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. James, to Richard C. McLellan

I also found Sarah's obituary in the 30 Aug 1955 edition of the Free Press but only her husband was mentioned.

Jacquie

Offline johngosling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 December 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

This is definitely our Sam. He's quoted here at the same address I have him for the newspaper story I found about his retirement party, and that as I think I mentioned in my initial post, includes info on his earlier life in Leicester and Wolverton, in England.

So that's fantastic, there was a grandchild and grandchildren.

Regards

John

I found a brief obituary for Sam William James in the 9 Oct 1956 edition of the Free Press. It mentions he was survived by a daughter, Mrs. R. McLellan, a grandchild and two great-grandchildren. I've attached the obituary for you.

Jacquie