Author Topic: 1851 census Stewart - Greenside farm, Neilston, Renfrewshire  (Read 6752 times)

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1851 census Stewart - Greenside farm, Neilston, Renfrewshire
« on: Monday 21 May 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
Can someone please check the 1851 census records for  Greenside farm, Neilston, Renfrewshire and see if David Stewart is still there and what remains of his family?

I have found him with mother and possibly grandmother in 1841, but don't have  the 1851 census at this time.

Sharon Stewart Duff
Duff, Stewart, McEachern, McCann, McDougall, Walters, Beynon, Griggs, Smith, Mellor, Haigh, Gayfer, Bird, Burnside, McCool, Lowrey, Skinner, Tolmie, McIntosh, Proctor, Broadhead, Biernes, Winn, Woodley, Wyman, Robertson, Young, Cochrane, Carson, O'Malley, McKnight, Grose, Currie, Valentine, Higginson, Gillespie, Avery, Black, Moon, Richardson, Harvey, Cowling

Offline johnboy

• RootsChat Member
  • All who wander are not lost
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census Stewart - Greenside farm, Neilston, Renfrewshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
What age is he?
Only David Stewart I can find in Neilston is living with his sister in Lochibo Road.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Brompton: Burn, Winn
Bedale: Caygill,Auton
Greenock: Wilson, Crawford, Gillies, Blue & others

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have said, David was born in 1808 in Neilston, so he would be about 43.
Sharon
Duff, Stewart, McEachern, McCann, McDougall, Walters, Beynon, Griggs, Smith, Mellor, Haigh, Gayfer, Bird, Burnside, McCool, Lowrey, Skinner, Tolmie, McIntosh, Proctor, Broadhead, Biernes, Winn, Woodley, Wyman, Robertson, Young, Cochrane, Carson, O'Malley, McKnight, Grose, Currie, Valentine, Higginson, Gillespie, Avery, Black, Moon, Richardson, Harvey, Cowling

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census for neilston is available to search online at
http://www.barrhead-scotland.com/Culture/history/1851census.asp

This lists a 42 yr old David Stewart, born in Neilston, occupied as a ham curer and is living in Newton Ralston where he is listed as the brother of the head of the household.... Margaret Muir who is aged 48 and is listed as a widow (there is also a 15 year old house servant listed)

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that is him. I didn't know his sister married a Muir, but their ages are right.
Sharon

Offline marlyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 July 10 06:10 BST (UK) »
I live in the U. S. and looking for the connection to my John Stewart born about 1784-1786 In Renfrewshire Scotland (states Neilston on his marriage to Marion Hutcheson).    This David Stewart in Greenside has been of interest to me because I think there be a connection to my John Stewart.   David Stewart born 1808 was the son of David Stewart (Senior) and Margaret Craig.  I believe the Margaret Wilson you are talking about as grandmother may be Margaret Craig's mother.  She died in 1842 at age 87.  Margaret Craig Stewart died in 1849 at age 67.  David Stewart (senior )died in 1837.  Do you know who his parents are?  I found no marriage for David Stewart and Margaret Craig.  It is not the David Stewart and Maragert Craig married in 1790 in Kincadine.  David's succession does not tell who his parents are.  Only names his widow Margaret Craig as heir.

Kindest Regards Marlyn

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 August 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
Marlyn, I don't have any more information than you do on David Stewart's ancestry. I wondered about his probate, which does not name many of his children, but the death record of my ancestor, his son John, names David and Margaret as his parents.

I have not found a marriage record either. I suspect it would be in Neilston, about 1801, based on her age and the birth of their first child.

What evidence do you have for the deaths of Margaret Wilson Craig and of Margaret Craig Stewart? I didn't have their actual death dates.

Have you looked at the Scottish naming pattern for children's names of John Stewart and Marion Hutcheson? It may give a clue? Names of David and Margaret's children are: Margaret (her mother), Mary, Jean, William (her father), David, John, Elizabeth, Janet and Ann Mure. I can't account for most of the names.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but keep in touch if you get any more info on a connection between David and John.

Sharon Stewart Duff

Offline marlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 August 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
Margaret Craig Stewart and David Stewart are the only family  I can find living at Greenside in Neilston parish in death marriage or birth records.   As can see Margaret Craig Stewart is on the 1841 census address of Greenside in Neilston with her mother Margaret Wilson age 85  and her son David Stewart age 25-30  along with servants. They are living next door to David Craig and Elizabeth Craig and family at Crossburn.  I will get to them later. 
David Stewart and Margaret Craig children are born as follows:  All birth records say David Stewart and Margaret Craig spouses at Greenside: Margaret 1st child and daughter born July? baptized Aug 1, 1802:  Mary 2nd child and 2nd daughter born Sept 15 Baptized Sept 18,1803: William, 3rd child and 1st son born June 9th and baptized on the 16th.: Jean 4th child and 3rd daughter born March 3 and baptized on the 22, 1807:  David 2nd son born Aug 19th 1808 and baptized on the 21: John 3rd son born June 10, 1810 and baptized the 17th: ( the records stopped giving birth order for remainder of their children)  Elizabeth born on Feb 5th 1812 and baptized on the 9th: Janet born Dec. 12, 1813 and baptized on the 19th:  Ann Mure born on Aug 15 1815 and baptized on the 10th of Sept 1815.

Death records are as follows in Neilston Parish death record book 1822-1851
Margaret Stewart formerly residing in Greenside died Jan. 21, 1835 age 31 page 153
Janet Stewart formerly residing in Greenside died June 17, 1836 age 20 –page 169
Ann Stewart formerly residing in Greenside died  March 9, 1837 age 20 –page 176
David Stewart formerly residing in Greenside  died  November 25, 1837 (no age given) –page 182
Elizabeth Stewart formerly residing in Greenside  died October 1st 1846 (no age given)
Page 242
Mrs. Stewart formerly residing in Greensde died March 7 1849 Age 67 - page 271
Margaret Wilson formerly residing in Greenside died Dec 20, 1842 age 87 page 218

William Craig and Margaret Wilson who were married Jan. 18, 1877 Marriage says William Craig is from Uplawmuir and Margaret Wilson is from the parish of Beith.  There children are as  briefly follows:
Janet born Sept 20th 1779 in Uplawmuir
Margaret June 14,1781 in Uplawmuir  (Margaret Craig married to David Stewart)
Jean Jan 9, 1782 in Uplawmuir
Jean May 29 1783 Uplawmuir
John March 1785 in Neukfoot or Nookfoot
Elizabeth June 1787  in Nookfoot
Robert May 1789 in Nookfoot
Another Elizabeth is born in May of 1792 who may also be their child It says William and Margaret Craigs spouses in Crusmiln or Crusmill had a daughter Elizabeth (no maiden name of mother unless mother’s maiden name is also Craig)

David Craig and Elizabeth Craig were married in Neilston in April of 1813 (living next door to Margaret Craig Stewart)  .  3 of their children also had name of Mure as middle names.  William Mure Craig. Laura Mure Craig and Ann Mure Craig. Could this Elizabeth Craig be sister of Margaret Craig Stewart?

Offline stuibhart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 February 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
If my research is correct then I am related to this David Stewart, from the way I have it goes

David Stewart m Margaret Craig their son was
David Stewart m Catherine Barr their son was
David Stewart m Helen Docherty their son was
John Stewart m Annie Ewing their son was
Alexander Stewart m Annie Porcelli their daughter was
Suzanne Stewart which leads to me
Daniel Stewart

I have more of the information elsewhere but not to hand, did a quick search for David and Margaret and fkund this post, thought I'd register and add this.