Author Topic: 1861 Look-up Please  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Look-up Please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 May 11 09:35 BST (UK) »

Hi janinez and heywood,

Many Thanks for your imput. This is very confusing!!!

Of course William James and Edwin Wilson can't have been born within a few months of each other... ;D ;D

However, - some families got children baptised as a 'job lot' as it were...and so William James could have been older... ???

This however, would make the family unlikely candidates as the ones that I am looking for ::) ::)

I am (still)! looking for a Birth or Baptism Entry for my late Grandfather, William James Wilson, born Manchester, Lancs 1860/61, died Hendon, Middx December 1937, aged 77yrs.

I've never been able to find him prior to the 1901 Census, when he was living in Swansea and married to my Grandmother, Margaret Wilson (Nee Rees). On his Marriage Cert in June 1893, and on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses he gives his place of birth as 'Manchester, Lancs'.

I've been trying to find him (off and on:-) for about the last 30yrs now, - but no luck:-(

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 May 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Romilly,

I thought it was something like that but had a look and as you say, can't find that particular family anywhere either! The trouble is the name being Wilson is a bit difficult  :)
I do think that there is something to the 'received' bit but can't think. At first I was thinking he may have been baptised prior to confirmation and then marriage but when the other children turned up that put an end to the speculation.

good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 May 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
What is his father's name and occupation on the marriage certificate?

Was he a House decorator on his marriage? (as in 1901)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 May 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
What is his father's name and occupation on the marriage certificate?

Was he a House decorator on his marriage? (as in 1901)

Hi heywood,

On William James Wilson's Marriage Cert, on the 22nd June 1893 in Swansea, he gives his father as:

'William Wilson (deceased) Occupation: Mason'.

William James Wilson gives his own age as 32yrs, Occupation: House Painter, Place of Birth, Manchester, Lancs.

The Witnesses are Evan and Selina Rees, - my Grandmother's Father and Sister.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 May 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Romilly,

I thought it was something like that but had a look and as you say, can't find that particular family anywhere either! The trouble is the name being Wilson is a bit difficult  :)
I do think that there is something to the 'received' bit but can't think. At first I was thinking he may have been baptised prior to confirmation and then marriage but when the other children turned up that put an end to the speculation.

good luck
heywood

Hello Heywood,

After 'googling round' a bit... :) I think that the 'recieved into the Church' bit does relate to Confirmation...

It looks as though sometimes this was given 'conditionally', - usually when people were changing faiths(?)

But perhaps someone on here can further enlighten us on this?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 May 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I seem to remember reading that "received into Church" referred to a child that was not expected to live, and had been baptized privately at home.  The child subsequently recovers and so was noted as being received into the church when he first attended.  On this occasion it was on the baptism of his brother. 

I hope that makes sense  :-\

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 May 11 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I seem to remember reading that "received into Church" referred to a child that was not expected to live, and had been baptized privately at home.  The child subsequently recovers and so was noted as being received into the church when he first attended.  On this occasion it was on the baptism of his brother. 

I hope that makes sense  :-\

Mo

Many Thanks for that Mo, - that definately makes sense!

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 22:20 BST (UK) »

However...

I am still no further to finding a Birth Entry for my late Grandfather, William James Wilson, born Manchester, 1860/1861...

Romilly :'(
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Lancashire OPC has this - is it your family?
15 Aug 1847 St George, Hulme,
Joseph Wilson -parents Joseph Wilson (stone Mason)  & Ann (formerly Choice)
born: 6 Feb 1846
address 28 Ann St. Hulme
then there is your William- what does it mean 'received into church'
also on the day W J was received:
22 Nov 1857 St Mark, Hulme
Edwin Wilson - Son of Joseph Wilson (stone mason) & Ann
4, Flora St, City Road, Hulme  
regards
heywood

Just reviewing this one...

The Baptism shown on the Family Search Site seems only to show Edwin? I can't find the PR Entry relating to a William James Wilson? I'ts on the Free Reg Site, but I can't match it up to a Birth Entry...

Romilly  ???
Researching: