Author Topic: Indiana  (Read 2649 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Indiana
« on: Saturday 13 September 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
I am desperately seeking any chatters from Indiana. Evansville, Mt Vermont or Posey area, with past and present knowledge of the area. Or anyone from US who might also know.  Or basically anyone, anywhere with knowledge of history etc.

It is related to my research. Some of you may recognize me from previous posts regarding Edward Redman who emigrated there 1820' Have learned lots about family not all good, have a double murderer!  it appears Redmans of today are a prominent family in Posey area who prefer to sweep that under carpet. Can trace to present date but loath to try and contact. Just hoping for bit background info.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Perhaps the family have had so many enquiries over the years regarding Joel Redman, that they have become tired of the intrusions and just want to forget.
We have a few threads now, where I have tried to bring forward the family in case you wished to contact them. (Always best to keep the info all together and resurrect the threads, rather than start a new one though)  Using sites like whitepages usa, people finder, spokeo, zabasearch etc., you should be able to do that if you wished.

http://www.whitepages.com/

http://www.usa-people-search.com/

http://www.spokeo.com/

http://www.zabasearch.com/

Without reading the threads through I cannot remember if there are any lines I missed, usually try to go through each one.  Everything that was done on here, including the names will be available to anyone through google and would link to this site. They would also pick up on other message board posts.   
It would seem that the media, have been involved in writing stories and covering the murders, probably exhausted every angle.  You have a good source at the Evansville Library who seems interested and  are ideally placed to pass on any info from newspapers.
The 3 rd wife of David Redman was Joanna Connor - it looks as if she was first married to Jackson Givens. Jackson Givens was the brother of Marie Givens, the first wife of David.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandra.

I am greatful for all your help.

I was not doubting your finds regarding David's wives. However received  documents from Indiania Library. Bethel Primitive Baptist Church Members List . lists Maria givens as first wife married 1830 she d died 1840's. From Posey County Document History 1815_1900 list David's death 1868 administrators James  Erwin (husband of daughter Rachel) and second wife Elizabeth
First wife Joanna K mortgage book E page 487.

BUT

FIND A GRAVE Maria Givens Redman list wives in this order Givens, Knight and Connor.  Nowhere is there a Davis.

Many of docs received show small differences from findings on other trees.

I do appreciate the time you have spent.

Jane

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 September 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Hopefully further clarification is needed on the newspaper article which claims -  "Joel's father David had married a widow named Davis, apparently her son Jake poisoned David and Joel killed Jake!

We know David's brother Joseph (Joel) married Elizabeth Ann Davis 17 february 1830 Posey Indiana - it doesn't appear she was married before or that she/they had a son called Jake/Jacob  ???  We know Eliza Ann sometimes listed as Elizabeth married again 28 July 1850 to Hiram Seats. She shows on the 1850 with Hiram (under Swats)

Hiram Swats 31  Elizabeth Swats 41
Eliza Redman 15  John Redman 12
Edward Redman 10  Wm Redman 8
George Redman 5  Taylor Redman 2

I checked again on the 1860 to see if Hiram and Elizabeth had had any children called "Jake" but none show - Andrew and George were Redman children who had took the name Seats on that census.

1860 Posey Indiana.

Hiram Seats  41 Elizabeth Seats  51
George Seats  15 Andrew F Seats  13

David died in 1868 - presumably the document you have does not give a cause of death.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 September 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

That's exactly as i see it. Have asked Stan if there are any reports of poisoning and for entire JOel interview.

Sadly no cause of death given.

I will keep digging. Thanks again for taking time to help.

I am happy with all info you found and what I found,  as far as I am concerned we have nailed it.

Jane

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 September 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Presume no full newspaper article yet. If you think there is a family member that we haven't brought forward, then just let us know the name. Always someone willing to search.

Sandra

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Not had reply yet about article, but contacted another library who have passed my request on to someone they think can help. It a waiting game at moment.

Have all I need on Family thanks. BUT I can find no mention of Edward's wife Jane. Have the marriage, children and emigration details then nothing!  Perhaps she died on the crossing??

One thing that I have noticed on all American trees they give his wife as Mary Moran and him from Ireland!  I have contacted some tree owners but had no reply.  Unless there were 2 Edward Redman s with children same name and same Dob on the same ship who settled in Posey!!  I doubt that and feel confident I have found my Redman 's.

I will keep chipping away and trawling net for info.

Jane

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Those ****** Redmans of Indiana yet again!!
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 September 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
I have had a break from research as I seem to be going round in circles! I have googled everything I can think of but can't find what I want. I have posted many threads regarding Edward from UK who emigrated 1820.

From copies of entries in Bethel Primitive Baptist Church - The First organized Church in Posey. I have found details of many of Gt x3 family. I have also found many graves in various cemeteries in and around Posey. However, I can find no graves for him and his 3 son's. Edward Senior died 1833 and Junior 1831.  I have transcription of a legal battle that took place regarding wills. As they were a prominent family I thought there would be graves somewhere. They also married into several families who founded the church.

I tried to find contact details for Bethel Church, no luck. It would appear it was pulled down and 're-built late 1800`s.  It would help to get sight of the entire book but think it is only available for reference purposes.

Having traced branches of family to present date I am once again going back to the beginning. Edward Senior is last piece of puzzle together with his wife Jane. She left UK with him but there is no mention of her being with him in Posey.

I have tried everything I can think of, even trying to find details of the vessel Christopher they sailed on. Have embarkation and disembarkation details.  Where did my namesake go?

It's hard to write my questions down and I apologise for length of thread.

Anyone know where I can go from here?

Jane

Topics on same family merged.  Please keep information in one thread to avoid duplication of effort.  ~moderator

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 September 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not adding to previous thread. Not very good at this yet! I just thought it was a different question ???