Author Topic: Gilliland Conly Ballybay  (Read 19660 times)

Offline weesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gilliland Conly Ballybay
« on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my ggg grandparents who I believe came from Ballybay in Co Monaghan...
My G Grandfather Robert John Gilliland and his wife Maggie Conly eloped to Glasgow in 1898 to marry and settle in Glasgow. Robert's Father was George Earnest Gilliland who married Jane Turbitt around 1874.
Maggie's parents were James Conly and Eliza Cook.

George Earnest's parents I think were John Gilliland and Margaret Maxwell. I do not know too much except that they may have moved over to Ireland from Scotland as Plantation settlers?
Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Susan C

Also my GG Grandfather on my paternal side of my family, James Casey 1831, came from Co Monaghan his parents were Patrick Casey c1805 who married an Agnes Boyle c1805.
Can anyone tell me how to start a search for them?
Susan Casey:- From Glasgow Scotland - Searching for-
(Glasgow) Casey, Connelly, Croall, Cummiskey, Gilliland, Holmes, McDivitt, Roache.
(Ayr) Boyd, Pearson, Peirson, Paton,MacCreadie, Earl

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gilliland Conly Ballybay
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 08 10:32 GMT (UK) »
You should start by searching on LDS site in case there are any extracted birth records, etc. on the families. To find possible children do a parent search (entering only father's first and last names and mothers first name or first and last (maiden) name).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline peadar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 08 14:57 GMT (UK) »
hi Sue, i was born and raised in Ballybay and i would like to let you know there are still Gillilands living there to day. I am attaching a family tree of my great Grandparents Alexander Wlliamson and Jane Marshall hope you find it interesting as we intermarried with the Gillilands the only thing i can remember my grandmother telling me about them was there was a number of twins in the family. Sorry I was unable to attach the file I can try to change it to a giff file or you can send me an email to (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 08 00:29 GMT (UK) »
birth.JOHN ROBERT GILLILAND 19-2-1875. CASTLESHANE, MONAGHAN,IRE.

parents. GEORGE GILLILAND & JANE TURBETH.

births. HENRY 4-1-1868. MARGARET 18-1-1872. BOTH BORN CASTLESHANE, MONAGHAN,IRE.

parents. JAMES CONNOLLY & ELIZA COOK.

marriage. JAMES CONNLEY TO ELIZABETH COOK. 5-12-1853. BALLIBAY, MONAGHAN, IRE.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 April 08 18:47 BST (UK) »
I have a Margaret Gilliland who married William Frazer;. I don't know where they married but they had 6 (I think) childred at least 5 of whom were born on Monaghan.

One of them, Elizabeth/Lizzie Frazer married Oliver Neely in Co. Londonderry in 1880.

If you have any information about this Margaret Gilliland or indeed, William Frazer then I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 April 08 23:15 BST (UK) »
marriage. WM FRAZER TO MARGARET GILLELAND 12-9-1854. TULLYCORBET, MONAGHAN,IRE.

FATHERS. HANS FRAZER & DAVID GILLELAND.

looks like margaret & wm. had twins & triplets.

births. JANE 13-6-1864. HANS 13-6-1864. MALE 7-4-1866. ROBERT 7-4-1866. MARY 7-4-1866. all born monaghan.

PARENTS. WM. FRAZER & MARGARET GILLELAND.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 April 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Mary,

thanks ever so much, where did you find them?
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline ANDYGILLILAND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
We are related! My Great Grandfather was Joseph Gilliland and George was his brother!

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 February 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I might have a connection here too.  But I appreciate that Gilliland is an established name in the area.

My great-great-grandmother was Ann Gilliland who married George Woods on 13 March 1873 at Loughmourne Parish Church.  Ann was 20 years old and lived at Aghmakerr, Parish of Aughnamullen.  Her father was Joseph Gilliland, farmer.  Her mother was Jane Gilliland, nee Nelson.

Joseph Gilliland died on 13 May 1887 at Aghmakerr, a farmer and widower aged 72 years.  The death was registered by his daughter-in-law Lizzie Gilliland.

Lizzie Gilliland (under the name Elizabeth) is on the 1901 and 1911 census living with her husband, Joseph Gilliland, farmer at Ullinagh, Carrickatee.  In 1901, Joseph was 46 years old; while in 1911 he was 59 years old.  Their children include Andrew J Gilliland, Robena Gilliland, Agnes Gilliland, William Gilliland, Ricky Gilliland, Martin Gilliland and Eva Gilliland.  In 1911, the family had a visitor: Thomas Turbitt, law clerk, aged 17 years.

Meanwhile, the 1901 census for Aghmakerr lists Sarah J Gilliland (aged 43 years), widow, and her niece Lizzie Wylie (aged 13 years).  In 1911, the census had Sarah Jane Gilliland (aged 59 years), widow, with her niece Elizabeth Chambers (aged 22 years) and husband Henry Chambers (aged 29 years) plus their children.

In 1901, my great-great-grandmother Anne Woods nee Gilliland was in Glasgow with her children.  The census shows the family had a visitor: Robert Gilliland, aged 21 years, police constable, born Ireland.

I expect that these Gilliland lines connect somewhere.

David