Author Topic: Tinplate Workers of South Wales  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Tinplate Workers of South Wales
« on: Friday 11 July 14 18:36 BST (UK) »

Many ancestors on my father's Swansea side of the family worked in the Copper and Tinplate Works, and so I was interested to see that there's an article in the August WDYTYA Magazine about tracing ancestors who worked in these Industries.

See:
http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/issue/august-2014

I think it's searchable on-line, - but if not, I can scan the article if anyone is interested.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tinplate Workers of South Wales
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 July 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
My 4 x gt grandfather James Clark was a tinplate worker and Freeman of London where he served his apprenticeship from 3-8-1761 with Thomas Monkland and (from 8-5-1768) William Gandar.
He was made freeman of Gloucester in 1768, but this was as his father's son.

I also have a couple of Joseph Vaughan ancestors who were managers of the MelinGriffith Tinplateworks in Cardiff in the middle of the 18th Century.

If there is anything there about any of these 3 I would be pleased to know it.

Thanks for asking,

peter
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 July 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
This Article doesn't go into that sort of detail Peter, - it's much more general.

I've scanned the whole Article, but it's too big to post on here. (Also, - unsure about Copyright, etc). I can send you a copy if you PM me.

This is a more generalised snippet for anyone else who is looking at this subject:

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:42 BST (UK) »

I'm told that the piece that I posted is too small to read. As I can't see any way of modifying the post to make it bigger, - I will re-post here.

HTH, Romilly.
Researching: