Author Topic: Steers of Kilmessan (Co. Meath)  (Read 18301 times)

Offline Pearse Christopher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steers of Kilmessan (Co. Meath)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 February 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Marriages usually took place in the bride's parish - i.e. her current residence, (which may not be her birth parish). Since you can find no earlier details on this Steers family it's possible that they came from somewhere outside the parish..

What sources have you already searched ?

Shane

Hi, I would like to contact Dask because John Steers was also my great-grandfather-- he married Catherine Henry and one of their  sons was William, my grand-father...
thank you Pearse O'Byrne

Offline karencregan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 February 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dask

Im actually from Kilmessan so if there is anything I can do from here I would be more than delighted to help. Looking at the census it seams that they rented property of the local prodestant land lord mrs preston and would you believe it they still live in the same place in Kilmessan maybe if you contacted them looking for some sort of rent book or maybe one of the Steers worked on the Preston land. The address is Swainstown, Dunsany, Co.Meath.

Karen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 February 12 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dask

Im actually from Kilmessan so if there is anything I can do from here I would be more than delighted to help. Looking at the census it seams that they rented property of the local prodestant land lord mrs preston and would you believe it they still live in the same place in Kilmessan maybe if you contacted them looking for some sort of rent book or maybe one of the Steers worked on the Preston land. The address is Swainstown, Dunsany, Co.Meath.

Karen
Hello and thank you so much. I'm not sure who this goes to but I wonder if there is a parish office or registrar, (perhaps C of E ?) I could contact?? I live in New England these days but I will be home in the summer in Dublin and would love to pursue the matter, in graveyards, public records etc.,
Thank you again
Pearse Christopher O'Byrne

Offline karencregan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pearse
Killeen would have been the main parish around that time but as fas as i know Kilmessan parish now hold the records of Killeen and if they dont Im sure they can point you in the right direction.  There is a grave yard in Killeen but not all headstones are legible but you might be lucky. The number for Kilmessan parish is *. Its the main parish in the area. There is also a church in Kiltale with a grave yard but I dont know how long its been in exsitance as anyone i've been tracing have all been in the are of Killeen/Kilmessan/Dunsany.  Also the National Library hold parish records up to 1880.  When I tried this I found it very diffcult as I didnt know enough info and it was like looking for a needle in a haystack but you have specific dates it will make things easier.  There are still Maguires living here.  If there is anything else I can do. You should try writing to Prestons and see if they can tell you exactly where they were living if you have look there I can ask around the village and see if I can get an address if the house is still there or an area where it was. Hope this is of some help to you.
Karen

Offline dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Pearse, have just read your message here and yes I am happy for you to contact me. I am not too sure how this operates; moderators do not like people inputting their email accounts into posts I believe. If a moderator is reading this post then I am happy for my email address to be supplied to Pearse Christopher.

Dask

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 13:57 GMT (UK) »
For your own security personal details like Email address or phone numbers are not allowed in posts, but you can send these by personal message.

see : http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

New users require three posts before they have full access to the PM system - so Pearse Christopher will need one more post.

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Karen, yes your offer of assistance is most welcome. In my own research Dunsany figures prominently. While my searches into the Steers side came to a brickwall with John Steers, his wife Catherine is very different. Her maiden name is Henry and I got hold of her birth details which show a Laurence Henry b.1792 Dunsany as her father, her mother was Eleanor Maguire. John and Catherine's son, my great-grandfather, was Laurence (Steers) and my father's name was also Laurence. Laurence Henry's father was Mathew Henry and his mother Caherine Brady.

I would very much like to get in contact with the Preston family as they may, as you say, posses some information. Perhaps you could assist here.

Karen, I am happy to pass you my email address if moving such conversations there proves easier etc. Just let me know.

Dask

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dask

Karen
Hello Karen, I got in touch via Dask and would like to thank you for your information. Dask is sending me some scanned documents tonight  about my great-aunt Kate Steers.... I'm so excited... I'm still not sure how to send my email address though, it seems to be  complicated...
(it's * if this is the way to do it....)
my very best regards to you in the meantime..
Pearse

my very best regards

Offline karencregan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 February 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
The current head of the Preston family he is called Punch Preston, Swainstown, Dunsany, Co Meath. Hopfully he'll be able to help you.