Author Topic: Edwin Marsland and family emigrants to Canada  (Read 4027 times)

Offline beatrix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwin Marsland and family emigrants to Canada
« on: Sunday 13 June 10 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

would there be anyone who could find any info  about a  family that emigrated to Quebec Canada in around 1914 from Audenshaw England.

The family is Edwin Marsland born 1880 in Congleton, his wife harriet born 1881 in Hooley Hill Lancashire, son John H Marsland born 1905 Denton Lancashire and Alice Marsland born 1910 in Hooley Hill Lancahsire.

this family were still living in Audenshaw on the 1911 census.

I know nothing about which ship they emigrated on or where they might have settled later, any help would be most appreciated

thanks

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Marsland and family emigrants to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
www.find mypast.co.uk

has Edwin Marsland immigrating 1912 Liverpool to Quebec

Harriet, Alice and John H. immigrating 1912 Liverpool to Montreal

It is possible that Edwin came over first and then the rest of the family.
Someone on this site may be able to look up the passenger list info for you and there may be a contact person or destination in Canada listed on the passenger list.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
You can go to www.collectionscanada.ca and choose the immigration category to find area to search for the images of the following passenger lists.

Edwin Marsland arriving on the Virginian 6 May 1912 from Liverpool to Quebec.  Occupation iron moulder. 
Harriet Marsland and family arriving on the Corsican 27 Oct 1912 to join husband, iron moulder, 3 mos. in Canada.

In the parish records for Montreal(Saint Gabriel) is the marriage of John Henry Marsland
17 Sept 1927, s/o Edwin Marsland and Harriet Dodd, to Marie Helen Yvonne Sequin.  Mixed religon marriage (Catholic).  Sister Alice was witness.

In the parish records for Montreal Rosemount (Saint Brendan) is the marriage of Alice Marsland, d/o the above, to Herbert Louis McEvoy 26 Aug 1933.  Mixed marriage and witnessed by her brother.

In the above parish there is the birth of a daughter, B.A. McEvoy in 1938.  Sponsors were Yvonne and John Marsland.

Debbie

Offline beatrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the great information

Beatrix

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 10 02:06 BST (UK) »
http://stevemorse.org/montreal/montreal.html
You can search the Montreal directories and track your families.

They seemed to have disappeared around 1920.  They returned to England for an extended visit.  Edwin and John are on the Minnedosa travelling from Montreal to Liverpool arriving 26 Nov 1919 going to 95 Guide Land Hooley Hill Manchester showing they intended to reside in England permanently.

Form 30As for the arrival of the family back in Canada.  They all show their former address in Canada as 1260 Ethel St. Verdun Montreal.

John, 16 travelled by himself on the Metagama arriving Quebec having left England 13 Oct 1920.  Going to his Aunt Mrs. Frank Smith, 197 9 Ave Rosemont Montreal.  Parents Edwin and Harriet were residing in Hooley HIll.
Edwin arrived next.  He left England 29 Jun 1923 on the Megantic going to his friend Frank Smith Rosemount Montreal.  Ancestry has mistranscribed his 43 years as 23.
Harriet and Alice travelled 14 Sept 1923 on the Montrose.  Their forms show they left Canada 12 Aug 1919 from Montreal.  Their destination was Edwin Marsland 331 9 Ave Rosemont Montreal.  British contact was Harriet's sister Mrs. Winterbottom 95 Guide Lane Hooley Hill.

Debbie

Offline beatrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 10 05:28 BST (UK) »
Wow!

this is more information than I ever expected you are a gem.

Thank you so much.

I would have never have any of this without your help.

Best wishes
Beatrix

(Aussie Pom)

Offline PRIVATE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 February 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
hi 
       looking  for  more  info  on   marie  helen  sequin   she  married 
john  henry  marsland  parish  records  for  montreal  st  gabriel
in  1927

john  henry  marslands  sister   alice   married  herbert   louis  mcevoy  26  aug    1933  montreal   st  gabriel 

i  have  the  info  on  john  and  alice  parents   edwin + harriet  marsland 

but  want  to  know  more  about    marie  helen  sequin   and 
herbert  louis  mcevoy   and  their dau   b  a    mcevoy 
                 regards    mave

Offline beatrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 February 11 06:49 GMT (UK) »
HI Mave

I only know about Edwin Marsland and his wife Harriet. Anything I have found out about their travels to Canada have come from my original question on this site. Edwin is in my family tree. I am sorry that I do not know anything about  Marie Helen Sequin and Herbert Louis Mcevoy and their daughter B A Mcevoy.
So like you I am on the  trail and anything you could share with me would be most appreciated.  I gather that Marie Helen might be in your tree somewhere. My connection is with Edwin Marsland who was my grandfathers cousin but alas all the people who could tell us more are desceased now.  My problem is I live in Australia and my searching now is getting harder.

regards Beatrix

Offline PRIVATE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 February 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
hi 
       thanks  for  your  reply  my  interest  is  also  in  edwin  +  harriet  marsland 
harriet  was  the  sister  of  my  husbands  grandfather   like  you  say  for  the  time  we 
have  got  as  much  as  we  can  get  on  edwin  and  harriet.  so  i  hope  to  get  in  touch
you  never  know!!  with  marie  helen   sequin   and  herbert  louis  mcevoy  children  and  find   out  a  bit  more 
do  you  know  who  frank  smith  is  and  who  he  married  . john  h  marsland  went  to 
stay  with   his aunt   mrs  frank  smith  in  canada 

regards  mave