Author Topic: Castle Hill, Bredbury, Stockport.  (Read 7113 times)

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Castle Hill, Bredbury, Stockport.
« on: Sunday 08 October 06 01:44 BST (UK) »
My gggg grandfather, John HOLLINGWORTH was born at Castle Hill in 1799 (source: place of birth 1851 census) and he was baptised at St Mary's Stockport in the early months of 1800.  His baptism states his parents were James and Martha HOLLINGWORTH of Bredbury (no further info).  I know for sure that James was a Blacksmith.  Evidence suggests that from 1802 he held a lease for a Smithy and several cottages at Hale Barns near Altrincham. 

Would anyone know anything of the history of the Smithy at Castle Hill near Bredbury?  For example, is it still there?  From whom may it have been leased around 1800? Are there any publications that make mention of it or it's occupiers? or anything about the surrounding area that may link in to my research.

I am trying to establish the location of James and Martha when John was born in 1799 and the Smithy at Castle Hill seems as good a place as any to start with my enquiries.  Would anyone know if any records are likely to exist?

Old map attached for assistance with location.

Thanks,
Nick
Taylor of Bramhall CHS (At rest 1577)
Parrott (Middlewich & Sandbach CHS (At rest 1675)
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)
Roylance of Handforth & Cheadle CHS (stuck at 1775).
Bailey/Bayley of Mobberley, CHS (stuck at 1809)
Miller of Mickleham & Charlwood, SRY (At rest 1684).

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Hill, Bredbury, Stockport.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 October 06 21:16 BST (UK) »
Castle Hill is down the Tame valley from Bredbury, near Brinnington, Stockport. It's not in Bredbury. There's an industrial estate and a few houses at Castle Hill nowadays. No smithy. It was the scene of a civil war skirmish.

In 1958 there was a smithy still active in Bredbury at the bottom of George Lane, near St Mark's Parish Church. It looked like it had been there forever. I don't know when it stopped business and when it was knocked down but it was gone in the mid 1970s.
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 October 06 22:05 BST (UK) »
I have now received significant information from other sources.

The property was known as Arden Smithy, Castle Hill during the time I am researching.  The Landowner was Richard Pepper ARDEN, 1st Baron of Alvanley 1744-1804 born in Bredbury.

The Lands and property eventually passed down to his son William who sold most of them off in lots during 1825.  The Smithy changed hands becoming a Public House 'The Horseshoe' around 1830.  Later the pub became a farm and adopted it's current moniker 'Horseshoe Farm'.  The building still exists and the postal address seemingly is Bredbury.

The ARDEN papers are at the Chester Records Office and the Stockport Heritage Library has a file on the Farm and it's history.  I've got plenty to go on with.  Watch this space.

Regards, Nick.
Taylor of Bramhall CHS (At rest 1577)
Parrott (Middlewich & Sandbach CHS (At rest 1675)
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)
Roylance of Handforth & Cheadle CHS (stuck at 1775).
Bailey/Bayley of Mobberley, CHS (stuck at 1809)
Miller of Mickleham & Charlwood, SRY (At rest 1684).

Offline Allanmt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Not that it impacts your research but from a general interest perspective, my grandmother Jane Pickford, was born at Castle Hill Farm.  Her father George Pickford and grandfather, John Pickford, farmed 21 acres on the farm beginning in the 1880's. Castle Hill Farm is the property located in the lower center of the map you provided, between what is now Ashton Road and Castle Hill Road.

Allan   
Turner, Bootherstone, Webb (England, Ireland & Wales). Elliott, McIntosh (Scotland & United States)

Offline Lesley Simpson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
hi I live in the barn conversion that was part of castlecroft farm. I know it was rebuilt in 1986 but I would love to know any history on the farm or land surrounding it as the original stonework dates back to cromwellion times