Author Topic: Counihan family of Clare Street  (Read 12642 times)

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Counihan family of Clare Street
« on: Saturday 11 October 08 12:14 BST (UK) »
Can anyone unravel this?

Christopher Counihan of Clare Street, Limerick married in that area in 1915.  However, I believe after the death of his first wife, he left Ireland.
In the 1920 Census of New York/Manhatten, a Christopher Counihan (from Ireland) can be seen living with his sisters Nora and Sarah.  By the 1930 Census, Christopher has re-married and has a daughter Emily.
Can anyone confirm whether this is the same Christopher Counihan (son of Richard), who gave his address as Clare Street at the time of his marriage in Limerick?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Offline carvjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Counihan family of Clare Street
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi LH

I am the grand daughter of Edward Counihan, who was Christophers brother. I too would like to know more about the family. I will share with you, what I know so far. Richard my great grandfather married Mary anne and they had 6 children. Edward, Christopher, Henry, Elizabeth, Sargent Major Counihan and one other whom I have no information about. My grandad Edward counihan, was older than christopher by about 6 years, and Elizabeth was older still than edward about 22 when Edward was 19. this info can be found on the limerick cencus of 1901 and 1911.
Henry died in a drowning accident as a youg lad, and sarget Major died in the Siege of Mafeking in south Africa in the boaer war in1899.
There are a lot of gaps. I did not anything about Christopher and only that in the 1911 census he and his mother mary Anne who is then a widow are the only ones left in Clare street.
please tell me more. I do not think the christopher you found in the usa is the same fellow, as his sisters were Elizabeth, and I do not know what happened to her either. My grandad Edward Counihan died in the early sixties in Dublin and he had three children Mary agnes (my mother) Willaim and Noel. Noel had no children but two adopted, and died a few years ago, Mae my mother died in 1989 aged 70, and william died about eight years ago. I am one of six children, and william had two or three (I am not certain) my sister susan is better at that...
I would love to hear from you about your connection to Christopher Counihan.
regards
Denise

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes, it seems like we're talking about the same family.  I have Richard Counihan b. Kerry (m) Mary Byrne of Limerick and their children correspond.

However, its the elusive Christopher I'm after.  Apparently he married at St Johns Church in July 1915 - but then the trail goes cold!  I'm pretty sure they had one or two children but then what happened to them all after that?

Does any of this ring bells with you.

Cheers

Offline carvjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
I was searching today for more on christopher and like you drew a blank after 1915. I did find a referance to 42 clare street for emily and christopher. I also found a birth of another Christopher counihan limerick born Jan-Mar 1924. this record is from family search registration indexes 1845 to 1958. I think perhaps he may be the son of christopher.
It seems we are indeed somehow related. Christopher would have been my grand uncle and his wife your grandmother, my grand aunt.
I'm very new to this, so anything else you may have would be great..
BTW the trail went cold for me today as well on christopher and Emily, as I could not find any death notices in Limerick for either of them, perhaps they moved to Kerry which was Richards birthplace I think? or abroad as you have found.
regards
Denise

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I noticed a Death of an Emily Counihan in the first quarter of 1951 in Limerick, aged approx 60....    I wonder if this is the same Emily.

Offline carvjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:16 GMT (UK) »
indeed it could well be, that was the year I was born!

Offline smaho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
I am the great grandson of Elizabeth Counihan. She is the daughter of Mary Byrne and Richard Counihan. Christopher (Christy) Counihan married Amelia Jane Warren in 1915 in Limerick. I don't know what happened to him after that. Elizabeth married George Pickford and they lived in Limerick. I have some pictures of Edward and Elizabeth and a bunch of other people that may be other family members. My grandfather Edward Pickford emigrated to the US in 1929 but I don't think Christy did. My picture can be seen on ancestry.com as well as the Counihan family tree info.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 April 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wonderful to read your reply.  Amelia Jane (a twin) was my grandfather's sister but I don't have any photos of her, or her family, do you?  I understand this couple had two children and wonder what became of them.
I'd heard one was a male and worked in one of the Limerick banks but retired in recent years.

The name Pickford has been regularly mentioned and I wondered where it came from.

Can you give me the link to your website on Ancestry.com as I would love to see your photos.

After you make 3 postings on www.rootschat.com you can then send me a private message, if necessary, as we can't name any living people here.

Cheers

PS   I've sent a private message to your relative (who replied a year ago) advising her to look at your message!

Offline smaho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
I spoke to my mother who did visit Christopher and Emily when she was a child about 1938. She said that Emily and Christy lived in the attic of the home on Clare St and she did'nt remember them having any children. She remembered Emily as a quiet woman who was quite short in stature. I have some pictures that have people that my mother does not remember. They were taken at the Clare St home, they appear to be from the 30's or 40's. I can send you those and maybe you could identify some of the people.