Author Topic: George Stanton shoemaker  (Read 3330 times)

Offline crisreyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Stanton shoemaker
« on: Sunday 17 August 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was a George Stanton. The only information I have is that he resided at 23 Charles Street, Kettering, in the late 1890's. I gleaned this information when I obtained the Army records of my grandfather. He joined the Northampton Regiment in 1898 and served in the Boer War until 1901. Now here is the tricky bit. My grandfather was born illegitimate, he was christened Thomas William Smith, the surname of his mother. He signed up in 1898 in the name of William Stanton and gave the above address as that of his father George. All this was verified when he  enlisted for WW1. In the copies of those attestation papers it clearly shows that he was known as William Stanton while serving in the Boer War. He only used the surname of Stanton during the period of time he was in Northampton, (1895-1901). At the moment I have whittled down the list of likely candidates who fit the little information I have re George, to 3 or 4,I now hope there is someone out there that could point me in the right direction.

Offline jacqlineue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thomasina Garbutt (gt gran) and me aged 7 days
    • View Profile
Re: George Stanton shoemaker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
 I live not far from Charles Street and can get you a picture of the house if you require it.

How do you know William Stanton and William Smith are the same man?  Have I missed something?

Regards

Jac
Garbutt Ashington Northumberland,
 Simpson SouthShields,
Clark Northumberland,
Dargue South Shields, 
Atkinson South Shields,
Ellis Tynemouth and Liverpool,
Sadler tynemouth,
Leathley, Routhledge,Forrest.
Herfy Germany,USA and London
Chester London and USA
Hopkins London
Hales London

Offline crisreyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Jac,
I can prove without any doubt that William Stanton and Thomas William Smith are indeed the same person. That is fact. The records I have make it quite clear. For example, as I explained in my first post, when he signed up for WW1 (as Thomas William Smith), his attestation papers clearly show that when he fought in the Boer War with the Northampton Regiment, he was known as William Stanton. I have numerous other items of proof that would remove any doubts. These are family papers. Thank you for your offer of a pic. but I have googled copies of same. I am aware that Charles Street was not built at the time of the 1891 census, and by the time of the 1901 census George had moved out, although there were boarders lodging with the owners, a Mr & Mrs Wright at the time. I suspect when William Stanton/Thomas William Smith filled in his attestation papers in 1898, and gave the address as that of his father, George himself was a lodger there. The most important breakthrough I could expect is a list of residents of that street between 1895-1900. Whether this is possible I don't know.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Welcome to Rootschat crisreyn  :).

The only available information of residents would be gleaned from
Directories, but these would only have the head of the household
not other members until a lot later.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline crisreyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,
       Thanks for the reply.
       I thought that I was living more in hope than expectation with the address angle. My next move is to try to contact as many shoe companies as I can to see if any of them can help. I have had a reply from Loakes, they have informed me that their records do not go back that far, but I won't give up. If I can obtain a list of companies both for Northampton and Kettering, operating in the late 1890's I may strike lucky. The other possibility I suppose, is to contact a local historian who may hold the relevant information. The person I am desperate to trace is George Stanton born abt. 1850 in Northampton, who resided at 23 Charles Street, Kettering between 1896-1900. The bonus would be to find any records in that district of my grandfather either in the name of Thomas William Smith or William Stanton born 1876 in Bridgwater, Somerset, later moving to Bristol, and then going to Northampton in search of his biological father in 1895 before joining the Northampton Regiment in 1898.
                  The Search Goes On.  Crisreyn.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 August 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again crisreyn.

The Northampton Musuem hold a data base of Shoemakers, but I do not know what
information is held.

Might be worth a try.

Also contact the Northampton Library as I am sure there is a book on Shoemakers
there too.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline crisreyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 August 14 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Sandy,
          I will give them a try.
          Crisreyn

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:03 BST (UK) »
If you look at the Northamptonshire record office web site they have a list of shoe companies in Northamptonshire. Maybe if you contact them they will be able to help you with what these records actually hold.

CraftyP

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Was George married when he resided in Kettering in the late 1890's?  Do you know the first name of Thomas's mother.

CraftyP