Author Topic: Asylum Patients  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
Re: Asylum Patients
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 September 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
My Great great grandad was in Whittingham asylum , Preston and died in 1940, i emailed Lancashire Record Office and asked them how to go about it, they emailed me a form to provide his name, date of birth and date/place of death (id already told them the asylum he was in) and paid £25 for the records in which they sent them out, i think with them its over 100years from when they were born as i had no problems getting the records.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 September 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
I have contacted Merseyside Records and they did exactly the same thing, sent me a form to fill in and also I had to pay £25 so I am just waiting now to see what they send in return. They did mention everything under wraps for 100 years, but as you say, maybe that is from the date of birth - lets hope so.
Thanks for the info. At least I know I am doing the right thing.
Thanks again
Cecile

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 September 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
I wish Manchester were more accommodating.  My g.uncle was born in 1880, so well over 100 years ago. 

I'm on holiday at the moment, but when I get back I'm going to contact them again asking for his records adding that he was born 134 years ago - hopefully there'll be a different archivist who is more amenable.  It's 50 years since he died, so the whole thing about patient confidentiality is ridiculous in his case.

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 September 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
I have heard from Merseyside but there is not much information as apparently there is no complete Archive for Rainhill Asylum and no case books for the 1970s so I have been sent  a copy of the register giving the date he was admitted but no much more. At least I have found out that he did go to work before he was admitted which is something I didn't know and also that he was admitted about 5 years later than I thought so I have found out that much.
Thanks to Rootschat anyway for pointing me in the right direction for information even if it was only a little, it was a bit more than I had to start with.
Thank you Roots!
Cecile