Author Topic: Royal Scots WW1 Roll of Honour  (Read 18884 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Scots WW1 Roll of Honour
« Reply #36 on: Friday 18 July 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
I hope you will be able to let me have a translation in due course, if that is not asking too much.

It was Monica who offered a translation, I think.

Here, however, is my transcription of the original obituary

We regret to announce the death of Mr Edward Farquharson Johnston, younger son of the late Major James Johnston of Newmill, and brother of Colonel Charles J Johnston, DL, VD, The Camp, Lossiemouth. Mr Johnston had a serious illness two years ago, but he seemed to make a good recovery, and he was looking forward to spending part of this summer at The Camp, Lossiemouth, to which, as once his father's residence, he was very much attached, and which he had been prevented from visiting last year. A week ago, however, somewhat disappointing symptoms were observed, but at first nothing serious was anticipated. He gradually became weaker, and passed away early on Saturday morning at his residence, 11 The Boltons, London SW. The news of Mr Johnston's death was received with deep regret by all his old friends in Morayshire, to whom it came somewhat as a shock, as few if any were aware that he was ill. Mr Johnston was born at Newmill in October 1854. He was educated first at Weston House - once a noted seminary in Elgin - and afterwards at Mill Hill, the famous English Public School near London of which Sir John McClure was formerly headmaster. On completion of his education, Mr Johnston entered the business house of Messrs Robert McAndrew and Co, London, who were connected with his mother's family, and who have extensive business connections with Spain and Asia Minor. After some years in the London office, Mr Johnston went out to Seville as the manager of the firm's Spanish business. For about 30 years he remained there engaged in the oversight of an extensive commercial undertaking, which he managed with conspicuous success, and whose already large operations he was the means of materially increasing. About five or six years ago, Mr Johnston was able to retire from the active work of business and took up residence in London. Whenever he found the opportunity, he was wont to come north to his native country; and nothing delighted him more than to spend a few weeks at Lossiemouth, with all its happy associations with the holidays of boyhood and youth. Mr Johnston married a daughter of the late Mr James (sic) Crombie, woollen manufacturer, Grandholm Works, near Aberdeen. Mrs Johnston is a sister of the late Mr John W Crombie, MP for Kincardineshire, and of Dr James E Crombie, Parkhill, who is a prominent figure in the public life of Aberdeenshire, as well as in the University Court at Aberdeen, where he sits as Lord Rector's Assessor. Of the marriage there were two sons - Mr Edward Johnston, who, on the outbreak of hostilities in 1914, obtained a commission as a Captain in the Royal Scots, and who was killed in the trenches in France early in the war, leaving a widow, who resides in London. The other son is Mr James Johnston, who joined his father in business, and who is at present in such poor health that he was not able to attend the funeral in Elgin yesterday. The body of Mr Johnston was cremated at Golder's Green on Wednesday afternoon and the ashes placed in an urn enclosed in an oak coffin, were taken north by the night train from King's Cross, Elgin being reached, via Aberdeen, at 10.35 yesterday morning. Morayshire relatives and friends assembled at the LNE station and joined the funeral procession to Elgin Cemetery, where the burial service was said by Rev Canon L M Hay-Dinwoody MA, rector of Holy Trinity Church. The pall-bearers were Colonel C J Johnston, The Craig, Lossiemouth (brother); Mr J H Hair, Skerrycliff, Lossiemouth (brother-in-law); Mr J E Crombie LL D, Parkill (brother-in-law); Mrs Edward Johnston (daughter-in-law); Colonel W J Johnston, Lesmurdie (nephew); Mr W H Rose (nephew); Mr G A MacLean, Westfield; Mr Cosmo Gordon, of Buchromb. The general company of mourners, which was unusually large, included Mr J F Cumming, Convener of the County; Mr R B Gordon, Procurator-Fiscal; Mr E D Jameson, County Clerk; Captain J Brander Dunbar of Pitgaveny; Dr T H W Alexander, Woodpark, Lhanbryd; Mr Allan S Gregory, Maryhill; Mr J Denoon, Lossiemouth; and others. [Elgin Courant and Courier, 20 June 1924, page 5, column 3]

I've been looking at the MacAndrew and Co connection. It is not on EFJ's mother's side, as stated in the obituary. His mother was Margaret Miller Farquharson. It was his paternal grandmother who was a M(a)cAndrew. She was Mary M(a)cAndrew, daughter of James M(a)cAndrew and Mary, who I think was possibly née Maria Shirley. Mary M(a)cAndrew's sister Eliza M(a)cAndrew married in 1829 Robert M(a)cAndrew, born in Wandsworth, Surrey in 1802, son of William M(a)cAndrew and Antonia, surname unknown. It was this Robert M(a)cAndrew who seems to have founded the company that sent EFJ to Seville.

Sorry, this is off-topic!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 18 July 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Alistair

Offline ALGARIVO

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 18 August 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
Greetings.

This is my first post and my English is poor, so I use the translator with all its mistakes and successes. Apologies.

The figure of Mr. Edward Farquharson Johnston is especially important to us, the Sevilla Football Club (Seville, Spain), because our Team founded on January 25, 1890 From Mr. Johnston, born in Newmill, Elgin-Moray), we have extensive dossier. I leave a sample of one of our jobs. I reiterate my apologies for my poor English.

Take care.

http://algarivo.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/san-jorge-los-libros-y-el-cementerio.html

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 18 August 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Greetings.

This is my first post and my English is poor, so I use the translator with all its mistakes and successes. Apologies.

The figure of Mr. Edward Farquharson Johnston is especially important to us, the Sevilla Football Club (Seville, Spain), because our Team founded on January 25, 1890 From Mr. Johnston, born in Newmill, Elgin-Moray), we have extensive dossier. I leave a sample of one of our jobs. I reiterate my apologies for my poor English.

Take care.

http://algarivo.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/san-jorge-los-libros-y-el-cementerio.html

Hola

gracias por este mensaje. Yo era consciente de la parte que el señor Johnston había desempeñado en la formación de Sevilla FC y trató de establecer contacto con el club de la historia. No he recibido respuesta.

YO estaría muy interesada en tener el expediente completo con el fin de conseguir que se traduzca.

Mejores deseos