Author Topic: Look up for birth record, County Down, Ireland  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up for birth record, County Down, Ireland
« on: Thursday 29 May 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for my Great, Great Grandfather James Patrick Morris who was born about 1849 in County Down Ireland.
On his Marriage Certificate it states his father is Patrick Morris Labourer.
Any help would be very much appreciated
Ellenmai

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look up for birth record, County Down, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
In http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/MooMoy.htm#morr
there is a James Morris of Warrenpoint married Elizabeth McConville having a child in 1869 , could this be relevant
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 May 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid it isn't him BallyaltikilliganG but thank you so much for looking. That is a very interesting website though. Both my Great, Great Grandparents James Patrick Morris & his wife Ellen Peyton (born1850) were born in Ireland. I found them on the 1871 Census living in Staffordshire and they married 20/2/1871 in Longton, Staffordshire. How or where they met is a puzzle, especially how they ended up in Staffordshire. I can't find anything about them before 1871 other than on the marriage certificate Ellen's father is named as Martin Peyton, Occupation Labourer. So I don't know if their families came over to England or not.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, civil registration of births didn't begin in Ireland until 1864, so prior to that, you are reliant on church records, if they exist.

Where did you learn he was from County Down, was it recorded on the 1871 or perhaps a later census? No indication of which County she was from?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 May 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
It just stated Ireland for them both on the 1871 Census. Couldn't find them at all on the 1881 Census but found him on the 1891 Census and it was on this one it states Co Down, Ireland, but the birth date was wrong and given as 1835. It was definitely him as he had his three daughters Bridget, Ellen and my Great Gran Mary Ann with him and was lodging in Penrhyndeudraedd Wales, Occupation Pedlar. He was stated as single so I presume his wife Ellen had died.
Thanks for your interest scotsmum.