Author Topic: blyth buildings  (Read 23346 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: blyth buildings
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 12 October 13 00:35 BST (UK) »
I could imagine that the home was so well known locally that it didn't need an address. I am very surprised during my research about various things in Blyth that I have never come across mention of it before now in either documents or pictures / folklore. I'm really glad to have had this added to my historicla knowledge of Blyth!  ;D

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

stormtroop

« Reply #37 on: Saturday 12 October 13 13:11 BST (UK) »

Kelly's Trade Directory , Northumberland, 1906.

" Jubilee Home & Workmen's Model Lodgings. ( John Larson, Manager) "

No address was listed for the Home !

Michael

Cheers Michael, I have yet to learn how to use those directories, I have just been buying a few books off Amazon and reading the social history, which is more my area really, I have read the Great War on and off for some years , now I am getting into  social history .

stormtroop

« Reply #38 on: Saturday 12 October 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
I could imagine that the home was so well known locally that it didn't need an address. I am very surprised during my research about various things in Blyth that I have never come across mention of it before now in either documents or pictures / folklore. I'm really glad to have had this added to my historicla knowledge of Blyth!  ;D

P

;D ;D Oh that fits, guess what I had just read this morning in my stars for Capricorn; " There is an international flavour to your life as you look to distant horizons for ideas"
and for my ascendant sign , Scorpio, " you are driving hard to meet a deadline, let friends help"

And you all certainly have my little cyber pumpkins!!  (term of endearment)  ;D  .
The interaction of people by whatever means and the interchange of ideas leads I believe to each of us finding out something about our families or our environment. All the pieces of the jigsaw fit thus into place. Two of my greatest loves, history and communication with my fellow human beings!

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thread and photos; I remember running through the marble arch when i was a kid can someone point out the entrance to it on the aerial view I'm sure it was there somewhere also do I remember their being a scrapyard on the hill, was it called Hanrattys?
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a new view of the Ballast Hill and Diamond Jubilee Home from within the adjacent Gas Works.

You can view it here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/13275461254/

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 20 March 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are right there was a scrapyard there and it was Hanrattys.  I remember my dad talking about it but I had no need to go there as a child.  We walked through the arch as a shortcut when we walked to the beach from Cowpen Quay.

Batbara
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline peeem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 April 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
I know this post's a month old but just to say that Hanratty's (Felix) scrapyard was at the top on the right looking up the hill. It had the yard next to it and a smaller one over the road. At the very top was a footpath that went down to the river if you turned right. If you turned left you came out at a small covered 'tunnel' with white tiles. Some said they were made of marble, though I doubt it, and gave the place the nickname 'marble arch'.  :)
You can still go up and turn left and part way down the old stone wall is still there on the right hand side. On the other side of that was the old shipyard. I used to go down there to meet my dad coming off shift.
Oh you can still turn right too but this is all new.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 08 May 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
I have just got myself another postcard which gives a wonderful view across Ridley Park, of Blyth's skyline and the Jubilee Home / Larson's Lodging House sits high in the shot. It is about 1905, not long after Ridley Park opened, but before 1909 since the bust of Matthew Ridley isn't in the picture. Lots of great stuff in shot for Blyth folk to see. It is from before the Jubilee Home was extended.

Enjoy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/14158927263/sizes/k/

P

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 08 May 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
As ever great stuff P.H.
                              This is indeed a keeper!. Thanks  Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.