Author Topic: blyth buildings  (Read 23349 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: blyth buildings
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
BLYTH BOROUGH COUNCIL: RECORDS: Building control plans only. Diamond Jubilee Home, Ballast Hill, Blyth, Northumberland. Proposed alterations and additions. Feb. 1913 http://goo.gl/v1VkaC

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
the Diamond Jubilee Home which was recorded as number 15 Ballast Hill on the 1901.

Number 15 is a shop, shown as a Store in 1911.
Stan

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 09:32 BST (UK) »
In May 1902 the Morpeth Herald carried an advertisement -
"Sale of Diamond Jubilee Model Lodging House and Marine Store*, Ballast Hill, Blyth"

which included the following description

"The lodging house contains 2 large kitchens, office, store room, private bedroom, scullery &c on the ground floor; 5 bedrooms on first floor; 5 bedrooms on second floor; 6 bedrooms on third floor; with 2 washhouses in the yard and all necessary outbuildings. The house has a frontage of about 50 feet 6 inches and a depth of about 40 feet and is registered to accommodate 110 lodgers.

The situation is good, being in close proximity to the docks, harbour and the industries of the town.

Having been built for the purpose it is in every way adapted for carrying on a large business.

The land has an area of 1,020 square yards

(* on the 1891 Census John Larson is a Marine Store Dealer)

stormtroop

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 15:28 BST (UK) »
Amazing!!, thank you all. great piece of detective work. Thank you Phodgetts for the Larsons Lodging House clue, I would not have thought of that. With the property being called " Diamond Jubilee", I would have thought this would have been a purpose built hostel to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee!?. One often thinks that our ancestors including landlords did not do what is done now, I would not have thought about buying up properties in bulk. I wonder why it was called two different names?.

Thanks anyway for your help, excuse the pun , you have been "diamond"  ::)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
Shields Daily Gazette Saturday 10 May 1902
Blyth Property Market. Messrs Heatley, Heatley & Co. on Thursday afternoon submitted the Diamond Jubilee Lodging House, Ballast Hill, Blyth, for sale at the King's Head Inn. There was only a small gathering. Mr. Henry Bower, builder, became the purchaser at £1,725.

Stan

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
And BINGO, I have managed to get to the bottom of this one. Eventually.

Having searched through various items of information, I just couldn't figure out how there were so many buildings in Ballast Hill when the street is so short. I also have an old photo passed to me by some one else and it is labelled Ballast Hill though it doesn't look like the street at all, but the street is not all of Ballast Hill itself. I have discovered that yes, there is a street called Ballast Hill, but it is also a location in it's own right and much bigger than the street itself.

You can see the Norwegian Chapel marked with the yellow arrow and the Jubilee lodging house with it's three stories marked with green in this segment of the 1927 aerial picture of the town. I have marked the Ballast Hill area with a red boundary. It all makes sense now, and it is evident that the lodging house was a stand alone purpose built structure.

Wonderful subject matter and thanks for raising the original question. It has helped me understand a little more about this portion of Blyth and it's very interesting past!

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

stormtroop

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
YO!!! REIVER REIVARRR!!, well done 'ole son/lass. Yes I wondered if it could be a multiple occupancy, a row of houses or a purpose build??. I mean "Diamond Jubilee"??, they did build architecture to commemorate Victoria's milestones all over the country, kind of civic pride.

Thanks, great detective work everyone.   

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 October 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
I have just had word from one of my Blyth 'informants' and he has sent me this information from the Blyth Weekly News dated Tuesday 8 November, 1910 which adds nicely to the subject matter.

;D

ON THE ROWTON PRINCIPLE

Blyth Lodging House Keeper’s Enterprise

With commendable enterprise Mr Larsen, of the Jubilee Lodging House, which stands on the Ballast Hill at Blyth, is at the present moment transforming the interior of the building from the usual type of lodging house into something more like a home for those who are obliged to patronise them.  As a matter of fact, Mr Larsen has recognised the value of the Rowton House principle adopted at Newcastle some time ago, and is himself busy following suit.  Messrs. G. and L. Wood, of Blyth, are engaged with the work of converting the spacious room into cubicles, where there will in the future be privacy to the occupants.  When the work is finished, and it is now nearing completion, there will be upwards of a hundred of these cubicles, each fitted up with clean and comfortable beds.  Naturally, there is not an abundance of room in these cubicles, but nevertheless there is plenty of ventilation, and what is more important, the residents are now able to sleep in private, instead of the old-fashioned and far from satisfactory method of crowding perhaps a dozen beds in one room, each exposed to the other.  By means of these cubicles the lodgers will be able to leave what goods and chattels they possess behind them with safety in the lodge, as only the deputy has access to each, which is fitted with a lock and key.  Another decided improvement which Mr Larsen has carried out is the establishment of hot and cold baths for the use of the residents, and in the kitchen the old-fashioned open fireplaces have been substituted for what are called heating plates, which has already proved a decided boon to those who reside there.  Altogether, Mr Larsen has really tackled a question such as this, in a business-like manner, and there is no doubt but that he will receive the thanks and the gratitude of the thousands of travellers who will sleep under his roof.  The place is more like a home now than it was before, and creature comforts are what is most desired by those who frequent these lodging houses.  The enterprise is certainly worthy of success.
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

stormtroop

« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 October 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Reiver, my ancestor is on the 1911 census and would have probably benefited from these changes, now I know how he lived , actually I was a bit worried about this lad, he had lost his father and the family had to split up, being the eldest the family finances would have been his responsibility, the " look after your mother" attitude being the saying of the time, so I was concerned about how he would have fared. I am deeply grateful for this recent post, it puts my mind at rest , I am glad this boy was warm and safe.

great work.