Author Topic: Worsley-Taylor -> Worsley of the Laund -> Worsley of Rising Bridge -> ?  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Worsley-Taylor -> Worsley of the Laund -> Worsley of Rising Bridge -> ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hamish I am not one for nit picking but you have Nicholas born 1700
son of James born 1688 , am I miss reading your post,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
My feudal overlords! The Worsley-Taylors of Moreton Hall.

I pay ground rent to the Worsley-Taylor Estate. Don't know anything about them except their solicitors is at Northallerton. If they lived at the Laund that was probably a long time ago - the Laund's best remembered association is with the Bulloughs before their money went to their heads. Gone now, of course, only a few bricks and stones remain of it by a pubic footpath.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline hatfinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 January 14 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your responses!

@Barbara.H, I do have another James Worsley and a Henry Worsley, both of The Laund, in between H W Worsley(-Taylor)'s father James, and Nicholas Worsley of Rising Bridge. But I will investigate these carefully, as I now rather suspect the notes I was given (see below).

@Radcliff, you're quite right that it makes no sense for Nicholas Worsley's father James to have been born in 1688 given that Nicholas himself was born in 1700. And now that I look at my tree again, I don't have 1688 for James Worsley -- so I'm not sure where I got that idea from. But if Thomas Worsley and Elizabeth Ramsbottom were married in late 1684, it's still unlikely that James was born more than 16 years before Nicholas, so perhaps this whole line is suspect.

@BashLad, what a small world! From your username I would guess you are in Bashall Eaves? Moreton Hall is gone, the Worsley-Taylors have "daughtered out" and none of those daughters (now past child-bearing age) have children, so the estate is now in trust.

Offline Marco Ghyll Head

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 June 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
My feudal overlords! The Worsley-Taylors of Moreton Hall.

I pay ground rent to the Worsley-Taylor Estate. Don't know anything about them except their solicitors is at Northallerton. If they lived at the Laund that was probably a long time ago - the Laund's best remembered association is with the Bulloughs before their money went to their heads. Gone now, of course, only a few bricks and stones remain of it by a pubic footpath.

The Estate solicitors are not in Northallerton.  The managing agents are Strutt & Parker in Harrogate and they are the people to address and queries to.

Offline ikethearmyguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 October 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
;)
St James Haslingden,
12th September 1725
 Nicolas Worssly of Rysen Bridge
Elizabeth Law of Hencroft
Grooms father James Worstly  cloathor, mother Mary
HOW UNUSUAL TO SEE A FATHER NAMED IN AN EARLY REGISTER OF MARRIAGES,
Brides father Denise Law, yeoman, mother Alic,

Radcliff
     I have an Elizabeth Worsley marrying William Taler (Taylor) in Altham in 1740 and wondering if she could be Nicolas' sister? Any idea how to make that connection?

Offline hatfinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 October 14 19:37 BST (UK) »
     I have an Elizabeth Worsley marrying William Taler (Taylor) in Altham in 1740 and wondering if she could be Nicolas' sister? Any idea how to make that connection?

Do you know any more about this William Taler?

John Taylor of Friar Hall and Broad Oak (born about 1741) had (as far as I know) five children: John (c.1765), James (c.1770), Jennet, Alice and Betsy. James apparently bought Moreton but died without issue and Moreton passed to John (1765)'s son John (1802). That John also died without issue.

Jennet had had two children, Elizabeth and Margaret, and the Taylor estate passed to Elizabeth, who had married a Rev. Richard Edwards and became Elizabeth Edwards-Taylor. She died without issue and her unmarried sister became Margaret Pilling-Taylor. Margaret then left the Taylor name / estate to Henry Wilson Worsley, but I don't know why. If the same Taylor family married the same Worsley family in 1740, perhaps this would go some way towards joining the dots?

Offline ikethearmyguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 October 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
The only piece of information I know is that William Taylor/Taler and Elizabeth were married in Altham 1740 and had a son named John in 1745 that married Alice Smith in 1770 in All Saints' Church in Wigan. So far as I can piece together William was a miner/collier as was his child and grandchildren so I "assumed" that my Taylors did not come from any type of wealth.