Author Topic: 298th Brigade B Battery  (Read 1954 times)

Offline quigs1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pte. Hugh Quigley, No: 96527, Driver RFA
    • View Profile
298th Brigade B Battery
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me clarify a few things with my grandfathers WW1 service records as I  am finding some things confusing.

His name was Hugh Quigley Regtl. No: 96527 a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery.

He was posted to the 9th Divisional Ammunition Column on 24th Nov 1915 until being posted to B/298 Bde on 30th Oct 1917, I believe that B/298 Bde is the 298th Army Brigade B Battery he was with them until wounded on 21st Mar 1918.

Was it common for Drivers to switch from an Ammunition Column in one Division to a Brigade in another?

Could someone please tell me if possible what Division the 298th Army Brigade B Battery were in and where they were on the 21st March 1918.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Colin

Quigley - Crawford - Brodie - McSporran - Bayne

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 298th Brigade B Battery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 06:54 BST (UK) »
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192545

Colin thread above is A Battery but they would be close

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
When RFA Brigades were redesignated as 'Army Brigades' they were moved out of the divisional structure and were at the disposal of the Army to which they were now affiliated.  They may still have supported their former infantry colleagues at times, but had a wider role.
The Long, Long Trail website may help in finding the Army link.  The Brigade's war diary should give much more detail and may be available for modest cost from the National Archives.
A

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
http://www.1914-1918.net/rfa_units%20-%20oldversion.htm and search for CCXCVIII - there are four hits close together.

It will help if you cut and paste the four sections into a text document.

Ken

Offline quigs1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 July 14 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady, Ainslie and Ken, I will check out all your suggestions.

Offline quigs1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 August 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
I have a little more information from another forum,

The War Diary for 298th Brigade, RFA you mention indicates that on 21 March 1918 the Brigade was in positions in the Montescourt area. Early that morning it was ordered to fire on a line between Sabliere Farm - Manufacture Farm. The Brigade Wagon Lines were heavily shelled with 40 horses, one officer and four men killed and six wounded.

That would definitely fit with my Hugh Quigley who's rank was Driver, it is also fits nicely with the first day of the German spring offensive (Operation Michael) as they pushed South from St Quentin into the Montescourt area where Hugh and the 298th where positioned.

I am still a little confused though, my lack of knowledge of Army structure and reorganisation doesn't help.

The 298th left the 59th Division to become Army Brigade in 4 April 1917 and became part of the Fourth Army. I have been reading up on Operation Michael and the Battle of St Quentin, (21 - 23 March 1918) and the order of battle for this period only shows the Third and Fifth Army being involved the Fourth Army does not seem to become involved in the area until the Battle of the Avre, (4 April 1918).

To confuse things even more it says:

"Lieut-General Sir Hubert Gough was relieved of command of Fifth Army between 5-6pm on 27 March 1918. He was replaced by Sir Henry Rawlinson, hurriedly recalled from his position as British Permanent Military Representative to the Supreme War Council. Sir Henry brought in his own staff and the command became Fourth Army." Source: http://www.1914-1918.net/bat22.htm

Am I right in thinking from this that the Fourth Army had ceased to exist  sometime before the 21st March 1918 and was reformed on the 27th March 1918.

If so could the 298th have been attached to the 59th Division or 9th (Scottish) Division on the 21st March. Both were at the Battle of St Quentin on the 21st with the Third and Fifth Army.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
I think it is wrong to say that Rawlinson replaced Gough. Fifth army was disbanded and Gough went with it. When fifth was re-created Birdwood was put in command. Rawlinson regained command of Fourth army in July 1918, which was called Second army while Plumer's army was in Italy.

Ken

Offline quigs1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 August 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken,

I have now found out that the 298th Brigade, RFA were supporting the 14th (Light) Division in the area of Montescourt on the 21st March 1918.

Thanks all for your help.