Author Topic: bedwellty church 1995- 1908  (Read 4501 times)

Offline kc3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bedwellty church 1995- 1908
« on: Monday 04 March 13 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi im looking to see if a james hill who died in 1908 age 40 in bedwellty was buried in the grounds of bedwellty church or there abouts.

From worcestershire and worked in the mines along with his sons. He had 13 children 3 died, not sure if they were in worcestershire or bedwellty when they died and i have no names.  I do have the name Jabez hill born 1906 and he was sent to live with his aunt in worcestershire however he has a sister that was born in 1909 louisa hill his mother must have been pregnant when james hill died.

the names of the children born in wales are as follows

lily mable hill 1896
james hill 1898
ethel jane hill 1900
emlyn hill 1905
jabez hill 1906
gladys hill 1909  all were alive at teh time of the 1911 census

these older children were born in worcestershire

anna louisa hill 1894 - not on 1911 census
george hill 1893 miner
edith hill 1891 not on 1911 census
william henry hill  1980 head of house in 1911

louisa hill (nee lawrence? from worcestershire)  may have married again a man by the name of hall in 1915 in ponty???? 

any help would be appriciated

kc

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: bedwellty church 1995- 1908
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 13 23:05 GMT (UK) »
kc,
       From burial records for St. Sannan's Parish Church, Bedwellty;

James Hill, 55, Pengam Road, Aberbargoed, Nov. 3rd 1908, Age 40yrs.

No Headstone! But in the margin.....D.18.50. (probably the grave location)

Gerry

Offline kc3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 08:54 GMT (UK) »
GerryP

Thanks so much for that.     :)

Offline kc3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Gerry, you wouldnt do me a big favour and see if jabez hill born 1906 was baptised there, i believe james is his dad, but because in the 1911 census jabez lived in worcestershire with an aunt and unlcle i have no direct connection.   Jabez was born in bedwellty and i can only connect him to james and louisa through the woscestershire connection also thinking that louisa was louisa lawrence and her sister was mary ann lawrence who was aunt to jabez.  I would presume jabez was sent to live with the aunt and uncle after the death of james.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 16:39 GMT (UK) »
kc,

No Hill surname Baptisms at St. Sannan's, Bedwellty between 1904-1910.

Regards, Gerry

Offline kc3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking..

kc

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
KC

the Jabez Hill born in Bedwellty 1906 appears to have been baptised at Abertillery, Monmouth on the 18th February 1906.  The parents are given as Jabez Squire & Louisa Hill and the address is 62 Lower Arrael Street, Six Bells.

Now Six Bells is about 25 miles from where James & Louisa were living in 1901 (Talbot Terrace, Llwynypia, Rhondda) and about 8 miles from where James died in 1908.  I had the baptism off ANC - if you would like more info pm with your email (can't post on rootschat).

Incidently where James Hill died (55 Pengam Road, Aberbargoed) was in 1908 in the shadow of what eventually became the biggest coal slag heap in Europe - thankfully now gone.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
KC

there appears to be 2 other trees on Ancestry claiming James & Louisa (nee Lawrence) Hill with a different set of children:

Frederick 1888
Emma 1893
Issac 1894
Florence 1897
Doris 1900
Irena 1901

and one does have Jabez born Bedwellty.

Neither of these trees have James & Louisa living in Wales on a census and both have James/Jabez dying 1909 in Cannock.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline kc3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:28 BST (UK) »
HI, Ive found the link,

There were 2 hill families living in  bedwellty 'area' James and Louisa Hill and Jabez Squire HIll and Louisa Hill,  James died i think in 1908 simular to Jabez (from information i had i guessed jabez hill - my great grandfather was sent to live with his aunt and uncle after the death of his dad, but which one james or jabez?).  it was hard to know which were Jabez parents. Thanks to a christenting record sent to me via private mail from someone who saw the above post it was confirmed as Jabez Squire Hill.   Jabez squire hill  Born in staffordshire and died in cannock in 1909. They lived in wales for about 3 years, jabez worked at the 6 bells in abertillery, lived at 62 arail st. Jabez Hill was baptised there, but on the 1911 census he was down as being born in Bedwellty and he was living with an aunt and uncle. It seems that Jabez Squire Hill was a miner and they moved around a lot. Those who have him on the family tree do not know that he was father to Jabez hill (my great grandfather) and Elsie Constance Hill, the only thing tying them to wales are the christening records x 2, they weren't in wales for any census.

Thanks so much for your time, this has now been resolved :)   oh just to add Emma was born in America and Frederick lived with his grandparents on the 1901 census,  also William r hill was Born in 1904 and Elsie Constance Hill (1908 )was also born in wales, in bedwellty / arbertillery.  They must have moved back to the mines in cannock where Jabez Squire Hill died. 

Jabez squire HIll + louisa lawrence

children Frederick - Emma - Issac - Florence - Doris  - Irena - William R - Jabez - Elsie Constance.  2 of which died before the 1911 census as per louisa declaration that only 7 of her 9 children were alive, i can rule out  jabez - issac - William -Elsie - Irena and Frederick .  So Emma and Doris must have died probably in Wales. So that mean my next quest is to find when Emma and Doris died.