Author Topic: Peter Stavers - 1860 US census - Schenectady  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Stavers - 1860 US census - Schenectady
« on: Sunday 08 June 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
The US 1860 census for Schenectady (Roll: M653_858; Page: 256; Image: 256) shows Peter Stavers, age 49, Fruit & Veg Dealer, born in England.

I am trying to establish whether this may be my 3x great grandfather Peter Stavers, born 3 November 1810 at North Seaton in Northumberland, England. My Peter is no longer living with his wife and children in the 1861 English census and I have been unable to find a death record for him. He was the illegitimate son of Peter Stavers and Ann Laidler. He married Margaret Young at Newburn in Northumberland in 1833 and they had at least 7 children, the last I have found being born in 1843. In the 1851 census they were still together as a famly living in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He had two brushes with the law, the first in 1835 and the second in 1854. I can find no further trace of him in England after he was sentenced to a 6 month prison sentence in 1854 and have been unable to find him under immigration or transportation records.

Any further information about the Peter in Schenectady which might help me to resolve my question would be very much appreciated.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Stavers - 1860 US census - Schenectady
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 June 14 17:24 BST (UK) »
Schenectady Ward 5, Schenectady, New York 1860

Peter Stavers  49 Born England. Fish and Vegetable Dealer.
Mary Stavers  48 Born England.
Roseman Smith  22 Servant
Louisa Marshall  16
James Haigh  22 Boiler Maker
Levi Marshall  18 Labourer.
John Patterson  24 Labourer.

New York 1855 Census - Schenectady City, Ward 4, Schenectady, New York.
All Staver children born England.

Peter Staver  43 Fish dealer May Staver  42
Sarah Ann Staver  23 Emily Staver  22
James Staver  17  Mary J Staver  13
George Staver  4
A S K McCallum  56
Wm H Kellar  19
Sarah Kan  20
John Patterson  19
Taylor Wilcox  45
Edward Sharp  27

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 June 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra. I did not know there had been a census in 1855 so this was very useful. It does however, open up a whole new can of worms. A first quick look for births/baptisms for the children you list only gives a potential hit on a George born in 1851 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. This is the right area so I need to take a closer a look at him. I have not found the others with either Stavers or Staver search. I cannot find a marriage for a Peter and Mary or May. Lots of interesting theories to play about with now, but still no nearer knowing whether this is my Peter Stavers or another man whose birth record I have not managed to trace.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 June 14 18:23 BST (UK) »
There is also a death of  a George Stavers in 1852 in Newcastle upon Tyne but no age is given
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2NFD-GNX

Kay

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 June 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay
Difficult to see whether the death is for baby George 1851 or someone else. I will probably have to send off for the certificates to clear up that question.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 June 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
 On FreeReg his age is listed as 4 months and date of decease given at 14 Mar 1852,   Abode Robin Hoods Yard and burial All Saints, Newcastle

Kay

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 June 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Can see Peter listed in Schenectady, New York, City Directory up until 1866 - 94 State h Brandy Nine Mill Road - oysters and fish. Also listed on US IRS Tax assessment List for 1865 - 1866.
Wonder where all those other Stavers were after that 1855 census  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 June 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Kay,
Thanks again.
4 months in Q1 1852 would fit pretty well with the 1851 birth which was registered in Q4.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 June 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra,
I have spent the past hour looking for the 1855 census children in other censuses and in BMD records and have to confess I am baffled. Have not pinned down any of them. I am beginning to wonder if maybe they belonged to Mary and the whole family was written up in 1855 with Peterīs surname, but none of them actually belonged to him.
I am also struggling to find death records for Peter and Mary.