Author Topic: Hugh Lloyd Jones Rome,Utica, New York  (Read 1661 times)

Offline wendythomas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Lloyd Jones Rome,Utica, New York
« on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,I'm looking for the family of Hugh Lloyd Jones who moved to America from North Wales he married my grandmother's cousin I think she was called Ellen Griffith daughter of Evan Griffith.he lived in Utica New York before he moved to Florida,he came over to North Wales in about 1950 to see my greatgrandfather William Griffith of Hendy Sarn Meillteyrn near Pwllheli,he left a photo of his wife and one of his son I think.I would to know if there are family out there any information would be of great help.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Lloyd Jones Rome,Utica, New York
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
Some indication of when both he and his son were born might help in the search.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
There is an obituary for Ellen G. Jones in a Utica paper on www.fultonhistory.com.  It says she died 13 Dec. 1980 in St. Petersburg, Florida, was born in Rome, New York on 15 Mar. 1909 to Evan & Amy Jones Griffith, and married Hugh Lloyd Jones in 1947.  She was survived by her husband, a son, and a brother.

Try searching for the exact phrase Hugh Lloyd Jones on that site, and a lot of articles that may refer to this family come up.

Offline wendythomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
I have no  dates  for them  just a guess Hugh about 1900-1910 and his son  about 1935-38

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
I think the marriage date in the obit was wrong, as there is an article on that site from a Rome newspaper in 1937 about a bridal shower given for Mrs. Hugh Jones, the former Ellen Griffith. 

This looks like them in the 1940 census with no children listed - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQGL-5DS

I see articles on the Fulton History site mentioned above with references to Hugh Lloyd Jones visiting places with wife and son in 1943 and 1944.  The son's name is mentioned in Ellen's obit, but I'll leave it out here as he may still be living.

Possible matches for Hugh in the Florida death index & Social Security death index:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VVW2-1DZ
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JKGW-BM8

Offline wendythomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information,I never thought that I would find anything about them.Would you be able to find when Evan Griffith died and where he lived is there a census with him included in it?Where did Evan and Amy marry?Would you PM me with the name of Hugh and Ellen's son,is it possible to find out if he is still alive I would really like to get in touch with the familyThanks Wendy.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
I sent you a PM about the son.

I see possible matches for Ellen in the 1925 New York state census and 1930 federal census, and she is living with aunt Ellen Evans in both.  Perhaps her parents were deceased by then?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KSWJ-RHB
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X4RH-QPM

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
The obituary says the Ellen's brother Richard was a twin.  I see a death on the Social Security Death index for Richard W. Griffith, born 15 Mar 1909 and died 19 Mar 1995 with last residence of St. Petersburg, Florida.

It looks like Ellen and her brother were living with their aunt/uncle as early as the 1910 census in Rome, New York. 

Offline wendythomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 July 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks,is it possible to find out if Richard married and had children.