Author Topic: my family tree. Kearns!  (Read 7674 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: my family tree. Kearns!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 April 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
if I say those 2 words fast,,in an Irish accent,,,then the closest placename I can come up with so far is

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/gazplace?LAT=54.184288,LON=-9.164829,PLACE=BALISAKEERY,CCC=MAY
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 April 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
Here is the church marriage - as Cairns

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F348-NF6

So John's father was James and Anne's father Martin

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F348-NF8
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:03 BST (UK) »
In 1881 census, they have lodgers called McHale and Durkan. These names also occur very often in Mayo.
I had thought that 'Birtery' could be Bertra but that is a beach and island off Westport  :-\

Looking at Griffiths Valuation -you can read about it here http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml.  your surnames occur often.

I want to put them in the Westport area but I have no reason really. ::)

Offline mrdean81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
i must thank you very much for your time, you have been really helpful, much appreciated. You know i thought wesport,mayo was a place that could be where they were from. I have found their graves in overleigh cemetery,handbridge ,chester. This would tie in as the address is in boughton - the exact place where my family originate and the very street - victor street. They were catholic so being married at st werburghs would tie in. Only thing i have found from Anne Bourke is born in 1854 in mayo but at wesport prison in 1890 for disobedience in workhouse. it might not be same woman as you say these names are common. Jacobi is that Jacob i presume and who's father is that? thanks so much i feel am on the trail now. :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Jacobus is the Latin for James and Jacobi means 'of James' . The register will say in Latin, 'John son of James'.

There has been a published Dean family tree for the family but now withdrawn with no contact name so that is not much help.

It is so frustrating that those place names are so difficult to interpret. They are not even the same, so one would assume that they are different, unless they just pronounced them differently.

When did John and Ann die?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:51 BST (UK) »

Offline mrdean81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:52 BST (UK) »
anne kearns was buried on 11/05/1922 at the age of 64. it lists her as 53 victor street the same address as john kearns who was buried 4/02/1922. so they died within just a couple of months of one another. It lists john as 53 victor street,boughton. Well according to my aunty Gloria they all originate from Boughton - the deans ,the kearns although the kearns come from ireland, mayo in particular. I think i may know who published the dean family tree, my uncle Leonard fry from cornwall who has undertaken research of the family tree. But now he is very ill you see. As far as the place names go i think your guess was a good one if you say it quickly in irish accent. If only researching family tree was more simple!. I am barely 30 but it is my passion. :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 April 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
The baptisms are here
Except for the last one.
Unfortunately, the image is not available as sometimes Godparents can be a clue -maybe relatives. As also the marriage witnesses may be relatives.

Do take care not to publish names of living persons.

Do you have John and Ann in 1911, sometimes places of birth were more specific in that census.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 April 14 10:09 BST (UK) »