Author Topic: YOUNG & NICHOLSON Families in Monaghan. Have I reached the end of my rope?  (Read 15643 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG & NICHOLSON Families in Monaghan. Have I reached the end of my rope?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 October 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't compare what is on Google now with what was there 150 years ago! You can go up roads near here via Google and not 1 house... yet 150 years ago there were maybe 15 families living in houses along them.

Tyholland Church might cover 20 or 30 townlands...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 October 12 00:27 BST (UK) »
Oh, I'm not  LOL I was just enjoying the ride with Google :) No doubt there are many areas with rubble from old  houses, etc.

I found this on Google Books : A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland By Samuel Lewis. 

It was one of the only places I could see reference to NewMills:

The corn and flax-mills belonging to Mr. Young, called the New-Mills, about 1 ½ mile from Glasslough, employ about 20 persons. ( Young, W. B., Esq., New-mills, Glasslough, co. Monaghan)  I wonder if this WB Young is in my family or my WB Young. 

It also had a good bit on the areas you mentioned, so hopefully it will help me get a better grasp on the area. 

Was it common place to name a town land after a mill or a company/business in the area?

Cindy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 October 12 01:16 BST (UK) »
LOL.....well we drive on the left here so if you are going up and down the roads using Google please keep to the left!!!

Yes that is the Mill belonging to the Youngs!  Places often get 'renamed'..often just by common usage over time!!

E.G. One has Swann's Cross...but what was it called before the Swanns lived there??

Same with where I lived before..if I used the official address no one knew where I lived but if I said Nolan's Cross they knew exactly where I was....but there is no such place officially

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Well, I was able to find baptism dates for a few of my Young children:

This was the only information I found online. Just parents name and baptism dates and location:

Andrew            -  12 Feb 1829 in New Mills, Tehallan, Monaghan, Ireland
John                -  13 Mar 1831 in Drumagelvin, Tehallan, Monaghan, Ireland
Elizabeth Jane  -  3   May 1833 in New Mills, Donagh, Tehallan, Monaghan, Ireland
Mary ( my        -  birth was 6   July 1837 in ???? Monaghan, Ireland 

* Mary (and forms of Mary) baptism was not listed which was confusing. I assumed it would be in the same area, but no luck.

If they have children born in New Mills AND Drumagelvin, were they baptised in the same Church of Ireland Church?

Also, earlier in my post it was said the Young's were from Drumagelvin. And from what I've read the Young's possibly owned a mill in New Mills, where it was said here that the Nicholson's lived, is it safe to say that the Nicholson's in some aspect worked for the Young's? Was it common for a mill owner to live in one area and have his his mill in a neighboring area? I wish I could find the name of the mill and how long it was running! Wouldn't that be fun.

Also, when a family left Ireland for the US (or other country) Was it common to record when and why they left? If so, was that a record you'd find in the church or somewhere else?

Cindy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Born 6 July 1837 and  Baptised      10th Jan 1838 at same church.

"If they have children born in New Mills AND Drumagelvin, were they baptised in the same Church of Ireland Church?
"...Yes.

"when a family left Ireland for the US (or other country) Was it common to record when and why they left? If so, was that a record you'd find in the church or somewhere else?"......  In 99.999% of cases Nothing recorded!

A watermill had to be where a suitable water course could be built.

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 November 12 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying her dates for me.  I'm starting to get a better grip on names of townlands, parishes, etc.

I have been digging a bit more and was able to find William B. Young in the Tithe Applotment Books. In 1832 he would have been 23, I assume it's still him at this point as I am not sure who his father was nor if he had siblings. If his first born is named Andrew would that possibly be his father's name?

Anyway, the record is on Ancestry.com but FamilySearch actually has the written information which I was able to save.  FamilySearch led me to page 28/31 and I found out that all 31 pages are with William B. Young AND a Thomas Roblnson. Both were listed as commissioners and each had 1000 pounds sterling in their personal estate. Robinson's estate was listed in Tallymount. Not sure who this guy is, so that's another project!

The first few pages had official wording with William B. and Thomas Robinson. Then I hit page 4/5 and it starts listing the names,area, tithe, etc. Under Drumagelvin I found him listed first with 228 acres, but found no information about the Nicholson's. It also had William's estate listed in New Mills, but then I found him again in Drumagelvin.

It also states that owed was 350 pounds sterling, and that in 7 years ending in 1832, that corn was the principle crop they produced ( at a rate of  13..3% per barrel ) Not sure if these numbers indicate success, but still great to find out a bit more.

Do you know if there were other Young's in Tyholland in that time period...ones that were not related?

Cindy

Offline Marie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 23:56 BST (UK) »
Oh, I'm not  LOL I was just enjoying the ride with Google :) No doubt there are many areas with rubble from old  houses, etc.

I found this on Google Books : A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland By Samuel Lewis. 

It was one of the only places I could see reference to NewMills:

The corn and flax-mills belonging to Mr. Young, called the New-Mills, about 1 ½ mile from Glasslough, employ about 20 persons. ( Young, W. B., Esq., New-mills, Glasslough, co. Monaghan)  I wonder if this WB Young is in my family or my WB Young. 

It also had a good bit on the areas you mentioned, so hopefully it will help me get a better grasp on the area. 

Was it common place to name a town land after a mill or a company/business in the area?

Cindy

Hello,  I see in one of your posts you mention Thomas Robinson with William B. Young.  You found the tithe entries for Tyholland.  I have much on Thomas Robinson and it is Sallymount, not Tallymount.  Sallymount Farm is in the very small Townland of Golree/Gulree, County Monaghan.  We visited there in 2006.  I think Thomas Robinson owned the entire Townland of Golree.  I think the connection with the two men is that they were commissioners for the tithe collections, 1832.  ANNE

Offline RoryYoung

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 April 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy,

William Bedell Young of Monaghan was the brother of my ancestor, Andrew Knight Young. They were the sons of Andrew (d. 1818) and Elizabeth (d. 1828). Here is the family tree:
http://www.familytreedna.com/my/family-tree/share?k=hzQYxuNqdCe%2FejOaIGVc2g%3D%3D
You can also read about the Youngs of Armagh and Monaghan in the old book, "Reminiscences of an Irish Priest" by Canon Augustus Blaney Russell Young.

Kind regards,

Rory James Andrew Young

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 April 19 14:58 BST (UK) »

Did they intermarry with the family of William Bedell, D.D., Lord Bishop of Kilmore  ??