Author Topic: Look up please, GROS, Hugh MacDonald Sheriff Clerk  (Read 2743 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up please, GROS, Hugh MacDonald Sheriff Clerk
« on: Tuesday 09 September 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
If anyone is visiting the National Records of Scotland at the General Register House Edinburgh I would be most grateful if they would look something up for me.

GB 234/SC9
Dornoch Sheriff Courts 1582-1984

I am researching Hugh Macdonald, snr and jnr… Both were Town Clerks in Dornoch and Sheriff Clerks of Sutherland. I have some information re. the Hugh’s found at the NLS. However I am trying to determine when Hugh snr acquired the post of Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland, and if possible where he lived at the time…

Numerous references to Hugh Macdonald are made in the book - "Old Dornoch, its Traditions and Legends" by H M Mackay, Town Clerk. The book was written in 1920 In the last few pages of the book it says that of all the Town Clerks in Dornoch only three were not 'sons' of the town, Hugh Macdonald senior was one of these.

1733      Council minutes record Hugh Macdonald snr Baillie in Dornoch
<http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/search/text> Dornoch Council Minutes 1730 – 1919
1738   Recorded marriage of Hugh Macdonald Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland to Christian Kirk.. This has to be Hugh senior as Junior wasn’t Sheriff Clerk until 1756 following his father’s death.
1756   Council minutes record Hugh Macdonald senior’s death and the election of Hugh Macdonald junior to position of Town Clerk.

Hugh jnr also became Sheriff Clerk of Sutherland.. He was probably born in Dornoch as he isn’t listed as one of the three Town Clerks not from Dornoch… I cannot find records of Hugh jnrs birth.

MS 1483 (NLS) Dugald Gilchrist letters to John Mackenzie of Delvine:
Letter of 4-3-1756 (extract):
Mr McDonald sheriff clerk is by all appearance on his deathbed….. There are 2 countrymen at Edinburgh in the writing business, viz Donald Ross a son of a tacksman and an old caner of the Earl’s at Brora who wrote with Mr Davidson of Whitehouse, and William Sutherland aforesaid whose father is a tenant on the estate of Skelbo.  There is a son of Mr McDonald’s likewise who lives at Chanry of good character.  They all 3 understand Erse but I believe the first and the last I have mentioned have more the practice than William Sutherland.
Letter of 17-3-1756 (extract):
Hugh McDonald our sheriff clerk died on 11th current.  I find his son is applying for that office… I understand likewise that William Sutherland of Sciberscross our sheriff substitute relies on Forse’s interest with you and the other commissioners for procuring him that office and that he has secured credit for the purchase of it.
Letter of 24-3-1756 (extract):
Mr Baillie at Ardmore informs me that Hugh McDonald’s son succeeds his father as sheriff clerk of Sutherland.  His father made demission of the office in favour of his son a week or two before his death.

Any information re the Hugh's would be a help, thank you.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please, GROS, Hugh MacDonald Sheriff Clerk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 15 01:45 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is visiting the National Records of Scotland at the General Register House Edinburgh I would be most grateful if they would look something up for me.

GB 234/SC9
Dornoch Sheriff Courts 1582-1984

Hi Patricia,

Where did you find the reference quoted above & what is it for?

Which of these does the ref. refer to;

Search the National Records of Scotland online catalogue
Search the NRAS online register.
Search the Scottish Archive Network catalogue.

I'm asking as I find it strange to have a ref. no. yet not be able to download it  ???

What exactly are you asking for as the request is not clear?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 15 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying, I had almost forgotten I had posted the request...
A little more information is in order I think:

NRAS Catalogue online..
Reference       Title             Date
SC9   Dornoch Sheriff Court   1582-1984
SC9/7   Processes - permanent preservation, 1st series   1582-1955

Country code   GB
Repository code   234
Repository   National Records of Scotland
Reference   SC9/7/6
Title   Processes - permanent preservation, 1st series
Dates   1741-1742
Access status   Open   
Location   Off site   
Level   File

The records I am interested in go up to 1756...

Reference   SC9/7/15
Title   Processes - permanent preservation, 1st series
Dates   1755-1757

I see you are researching Macdonald too, I am trying to locate whereabouts Hugh Macdonald lived prior to moving to Dornoch, and any information could be helpful....

regards Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 January 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

What you have posted/written so far is a novel  ::)

I'm still unsure what you want to know as it seems the info. anyone would be looking at would read like a book with pages & pages of info.

You have not asked for anything specific  ???

Do you know the cost of entry for the day at Register House, not to mention the time it takes to get the info. & the time it would take to read through it?

Those records are held in a seperate building from the research rooms too which isn't ideal.

I would doubt anyone would be willing to do a look-up on such a grand scale as it costs too much  >:(

Have you tried sending an email to Register House or a letter stating what you would like?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Patricia, the original reference you posted is partly irrelevant. GB simply means that the documents originate in Great Britain, and 234 that they are in the National Records of Scotland.

The relevant part is SC9, which is the records of Dornoch Sheriff Court. This contains one thousand six hundred and three separate items.

SC9/7 is one of the 1603 parts of the SC9 series, and it contains 437 items.

SC9/7/6 is just one of these, and covers only one year, 1741 to 1742. It is likely to be either a large bound volume or a box of documents, and whichever it is it will probably run to hundreds of pages of handwriting.

If Hugh Macdonald was the Sheriff Clerk, he is likely to be mentioned in, or a signatory to, almost all the cases in which he was involved.  There might perhaps be some record of his appointment which might tell you where he came from or what his qualifications for the job were, but most of the references to him in the Sheriff Court records are unlikely to shed any new light on his family connections.

There is no charge for research in the Historical Search Room, so it would not cost a volunteer anything to do this, but it could be a mammoth undertaking to sift through thousands of pages of handwritten documents. The SC9 series is stored off-site, so anyone undertaking the task for you would need to order the documents in advance of going there, so would have to know in sufficient detail exactly which volumes or bundles would be required.

Quite honestly, I think this request is much more than a simple lookup request, as it could take several days.  I could certainly not volunteer to take it on! I think you need to consider hiring a professional researcher with experience of eighteenth century handwriting. There are links to lists of such researchers on the NRS web site.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
SC9/7/6 will probably run to hundreds of pages of handwriting.

There is no charge for research in the Historical Search Room but it could be a mammoth undertaking to sift through thousands of pages of handwritten documents. The SC9 series is stored off-site, so anyone undertaking the task for you would need to order the documents in advance of going there, so would have to know in sufficient detail exactly which volumes or bundles would be required.

this request is much more than a simple lookup request, as it could take several days.  I could certainly not volunteer to take it on! I think you need to consider hiring a professional researcher with experience of eighteenth century handwriting. There are links to lists of such researchers on the NRS web site.

Forfarian,

I did forget the Historical Search Room is free (too busy thinking of the search rooms)  :P

I agree that the request is more than a "simple" look-up  ::) & I'm sure patval you know that too  ???

You never know though.......................there may be someone out there who's heating is broken & would be glad to do it for the heat for a few hrs/days  ??? ;D ::)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, I’m very apologetic…

Forfarian  -thank you for your kind response, and clear explanation of the ref. number… I genuinely had no idea when posting the request that there might possibly be such a large amount of information available…. I would never expect anyone to spend days or even hours of their time on such an undertaking…. And am mortified to think anyone may possibly think that a likelihood...

Ammak… thank you also for your comments…although I can assure you that your assumption that ‘patval did know that too’ is incorrect…  you may or may not be aware that to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME

In my original request I made reference to the information I already had so as not to waste anyone’s time by their recapping what I had found previously…

I live in Nottinghamshire and am researching family in Scotland, over the years I have requested help from members of Rootchat . The response has always been wonderful; the support I have received has been invaluable and the members have been kindness itself… I would never consider abusing their generosity …

Thank you…
Patricia Valentine

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I live in Nottinghamshire and am researching family in Scotland

Have a week's holiday in Edinburgh!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Ammak… thank you also for your comments…although I can assure you that your assumption that ‘patval did know that too’ is incorrect…  you may or may not be aware that to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME

;D ;D ;D

Sorry if I upset you but you did not say that the references you posted were info. you already had  :-\

If you look at your post.............it reads as though these are references to info. you want  ::)

This is what happens when things are not clear in requests  ???