Author Topic: Conrad Walter BERGMAN  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Conrad Walter BERGMAN
« on: Friday 06 June 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again Spades...

Could I please make use of some Rootschat server space again.

It's for the same reason as before. I'd like to help out someone on the TradeMe board but it's a long-ish reply and would be pretty unbearable to read without decent formatting.

Don't really like doing this as I suspect I'm putting various noses out of joint on both boards but if it's okay with you that's all that matters.

Thanks again
Beg

Edit by Moderator: In agreement with original poster, topic title altered to the name of the person being researched.

Spades

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: A repeat favour please Spades :-)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 June 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
Beg,
Your help is invaluable on either board,my nose is still in the right place  ;D

Cheers Janette

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 June 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
So is mine, and I haven't poked it into the other place yet ;D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 June 14 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Janette...

Your nose is definitely not one of the noses I've annoyed :-)

I'm thinking more of the collective group nose as opposed to individual nasal passages :)

EDIT: Your nose is fine too KHP :-)

I'm thinking maybe I should edit out my original comment but then all these nasal comments wouldn't make any sense.

All the best
Beg

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 June 14 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg,

Feel free to de-joint as many noses as you care to. ;) It's all about the research. ;D

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 June 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spades :)

All the best
Beg

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 June 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Mahairy...

Quote from: mahairy
...good sites to search Swedish records?
Is the language a barrier?

Quote from: stock
FamilySearch is one of the starting points
[...]
you will see a lot that is not indexed

To view pretty much all of the non-indexed Swedish records on FamilySearch you will need to have a subscription to "Svensk Arkiv", the Swedish National Archives, more commonly know as SVAR.

And if you have a subscription to SVAR you may as well bypass FamilySearch entirely. SVAR has many more types of records than FamilySearch, most notably the Swedish censuses 1860 to 1900. Another advantage of using SVAR is that a large proportion of their records have been indexed.

To see a list of SVAR's resources click the following link, then "Other Languages" in the top right-hand corner, then "English"

SVAR online databases and records
http://sok.riksarkivet.se/specialsok

Having said that, the indexed records at FamilySearch are a great place to start because they are easy to use. Just type in a name and click Search. If you find the details for someone of interest it will make things easier when you start viewing the Swedish parish registers, which you'll need to do eventually.

-----

For basic births, deaths and marriages research not understanding Swedish isn't really that much of a problem. Most web-browsers have the ability to translate text from a Swedish webpage to English. The Google Chrome browser is pretty good in this regard. I use Firefox and the "Google Translator for Firefox" plug-in. And the "Google Translate" webpage is handy for individual words or sentences.

Unfortunately a web browser can't translate the scanned image of a page from a Swedish parish register. Fortunately births, deaths and marriages info is pretty much the same regardless of the language, namely who what where and when. So reasonable eyesight, a bit of persistence and a good Swedish genealogical word list is really all you need.

Can't help with the eyesight or persistence but here's a good Swedish word list...

FamilySearch - Swedish Genealogical Word List
http://www.rootschat.com/links/012ki/

...and another good one...

Genline
http://www.rootschat.com/links/012kj/

-----

Here's a page from a Births register so that you can see what you're up against.
Click on the image to make it bigger or click on "Download" to download it to your computer.

Födde och Döpte - Askims Socken - År 1824
(Births and Baptisms - Askims Parish - In the year of 1824)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/012kp/

...continued >>>

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 June 14 01:50 BST (UK) »
>>> continued...

Apologies if you already know but the main thing to understand about Swedish research is that you have to know the place from which your ancestor came. Ideally the village or farm, at the least the parish. If not, it's needle and haystack time.

Recently a lot of effort has gone into transcribing the registers and creating nominal indexes. But the original organisation of the registers was by location, not name, and that's what you have to remember when you're using them to trace someone.

The other thing to know about Swedish research is that it ain't cheap. To view the records you have a choice of either SVAR or ArkivDigital, both of which are subscription sites.

You'll commonly find ArkivDigital referred to as just AD.

A third choice is ancestry.com to which your local library may already subscribe. Unfortunately the image quality is pretty poor compared to SVAR and AD. And from memory there isn't a lot of indexing. But if your library has an ancestry.com subscription then it's free to use so you may as well make the most of it.

-----

Here are a few Swedish genealogical websites worth looking at...

You might want to check DISBYT to see if someone has already researched your family. The username and password are both guest. To search any further with DISBYT you need to subscribe.

DISBYT
http://disbyt.dis.se/searchindex.htm

--

Släktdata (Family Data) is a volunteer-based website which has a lot of transcribed registers... and now might be a good time to start using that Swedish genealogical word list I mentioned earlier...

Släktdata
http://www.slaktdata.org/index.php/regsearch

--

Some of the 1890 Swedish census has been transcribed and indexed. If your ancestor lived in one of the transcribed counties at the time then you're in luck

The Swedish Census 1890
http://www2.foark.umu.se/census/Index.htm

--

The best website for an english speaker to get Swedish genealogy help is the Sweden/General board on ancestry.com. Lots of knowledgeable bilingual people with access to a lot of off-line records (books, CD's etc). As it's a very active board you'll usually get a response to your question within a day or so.

It's free to read the threads but to ask for help you need to register with ancestry.com. Registration is free.

Sweden/General
http://www.rootschat.com/links/012l0/

A handy thing to ask for on the Sweden/General board is for a look-up in either "Svenskarna i Nya Zeeland - The Swedes in New Zealand" or "Emibas - The Swedish Emigration Database".

"Svenskarna i Nya Zeeland" is a reference book compiled back in the 1970's and 80's by the Swedish ambassador to NZ. It contains family and travel details for lots of the Swedes who turned up in NZ.

"Emibas" is a CD containing lots of transcribed passenger lists. I don't think it's accessible on-line. I may be wrong.

-----

Happy to help further if you've managed to read this far :-)

Regards
Beg

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Len and Mabel @ Kaihere, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 June 14 09:23 BST (UK) »
This message by Beg would make a great 'stickie'. I've favourited anyway, to be called on for my Mary SUISTED, if needed.
BUCHANAN - Waikato, New Zealand
John and Alice SMITH - Waikouaiti/Flag Swamp/Wyndham - South Island NZ
THOMAS - Tenby, Wales 1700's - 1800's