Author Topic: CONNOLLY/DONLAN, KILKERRIN, GALWAY.  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CONNOLLY/DONLAN, KILKERRIN, GALWAY.
« on: Friday 23 January 09 04:02 GMT (UK) »
On previous censuses my father's family was shown as being born in 'Ireland' but with no further details given, however, the 1911 census has given me a straw to grasp because it shows the family as being from, Kilkerrin, Galway. Googling this seems to be a complete waste of time and I'd be really grateful for any addditional information about the place, particularly as it would have been in the 19th century and how I should go about trying to trace my Irish ancestors.

My g.grandfather, Patrick Connolly (middle name probably James) appears to have been born there C1850, as was his wife Mary Donlan, C1852.

They first appeared in England on the 1881 census for Widnes, Lancashire. They had one child, Mary, born in Ireland C1873 which must have been round about the time they married because the 1911 census shows they had been married for 38 years.

Patrick's mother, yet another Mary, was living with them then and she appears to have been born C1829 but no place of birth was given.

Any help or suggestions  would be very gratefully received.

Marie.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

IRELAND:CostelloSauce,Hatchell
Connolly/Conneelly(Kilkerrin,Co Galway)
WALES: Flintshire-Roberts
CHESHIRE-Irby: Ledsham,Roberts,Bennett
LANCS:
Liverpool: Howard
Halewood: Ellison, Turton,
Prescot: Cross, Hornby, Prescott
Warrington: Sauce
Widnes: Connolly, Cross, Currie, Prescott
Manchester: Currie
Altcar: Howard, Bolton
ASHFORD: Dale,Ellis
SCOTLAND: Currie,Lindsay,McDonald, Savage,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: CONNOLLY/DONLAN, KILKERRIN, GALWAY.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 January 09 08:29 GMT (UK) »
theres a match on the townland database at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

Townland     : Kilkerrin         
Acres    :  234
County    :  Galway
Barony    : Tiaquin
Civil Parish : Kilkerrin
PLU    : Glennamaddy     (registration district)

I would guess that Glennamaddy is the nearest town..

As Mary's birth is after civil registration started (1864)  it should be possible to request a birth cert from the GRO - www.groireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 January 09 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply and especially for the information you've given me. Much of my own family background is Irish but although I grew up with numerous Irish place names being bandied about they're just a jumble in my head and anybody who could have helped with which branch of the family was from which place was long gone by the time I started on this road. I've felt a real connection with the Galway area when I've visited (although perhaps everybody does!) and now I have another reason to return.

I'm on cloud nine at present and I've completed the certificate application but I'm almost too scared to send it in case I haven't got enough information for it to be traced and I just finish up with a cracked head. Again!

Very best wishes

Marie.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

LANCS:

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Some parish & civil records are available on the Irish Family History Foundation website (www.irish-roots.ie) including the Civil birth of a Mary Connolly born in 1873 in the district of Glenamaddy/ Galway East.

no guarantee that it the correct person - but might be worth a try. The site is a pay per view and you get record transcripts, €5 each.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 January 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Even more information.  You're a wonder! If this is 'my' Mary do you think this indicates that she may not have been born at Kilkerrin or just that Glenamaddy is the nearest town?

Mary married in Widnes in 1905 and I've been able to trace her on the 1911 census (this morning) and her place of birth is given as just Galway. 

Marie.

LANCS:

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 January 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Glenamaddy is the civil registration district for the townland of Kilkerrin - this would include a number of other townlands.

The SeanRuad database shows townlands and the Poor Law Unions - which became the Registration Districts..

no guarantee with a surname as common as Connolly that we are on the trail of the right person - but if the family stayed around Kilkerrin/Glenamaddy then there's a good chance of finding them.

a search for Mary Connolly without any location restriction in Co. Galway around 1873 (+/- 2 years) gives 59 matches!

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 January 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
The Glenamaddy parish also has a website which will respond to genealogy questions and has a great picture of the church

http://www.glenamaddychurch.ie

Good Luck!
Crabby
Downing/Hurley/Lane/Quinlan  Cork
Hopkins/Devaney/McWalter/Qualter/Lyons  Galway
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Mulcahey/Mulcahy Roscommon
Reilly/Riley Sligo

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Thanks for all help and information you've given me. I'll apply for a certificate for Mary's birth certificate an hope that having her mother's surname will help narrow it down. The added difficulty, along with my maiden surname being so commonplace in Ireland, is not being certain of the year of Mary's birth.

Best wishes

Marie.

LANCS:

Offline Rosemarie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Crabby (surely not!). I'll check that web site out because the only thing I can be reasonably certain of is that Patrick and Mary were both born in Kilkerrin and their daughter, another Mary, was born in Co Galway. I'm hoping to come over in June or thereabouts with my sister (We're 'getting on' in years so no time to waste) and will have to marshall as many facts as I can.

We've visited Ireland a number of times over the last forty years but just travelled around and loved it but this time we'll have a specific purpose in mind. Roscommon was another place our mother mentioned and we assumed it was Co Roscommon but it's possibly Roscommon, Co Galway. The problem is in knowing which branch of the family she was referring to when she said these things!

Best wishes

Marie.

LANCS: