Author Topic: McCabe in LURGAN Parish  (Read 2511 times)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCabe in LURGAN Parish
« on: Saturday 14 June 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
I an researching a McCabe family that resided in Lurgan Parish.  Known places of residence were: Aghacashel,  Coppanagh, and possibly Scrabby.   They were Roman Catholic.

The 1st record I have is the marriage of John McCabe to Catherine Healy on  9 May, 1851 in Coppanagh.   Her brother James Healy and her brother in law,  Edward Murray, signed the marriage document.    John and Catherine had these known children:  Anne b 9 July 1867,  Ulty (?Ulthan)  b 1866 and  James b 1868 (or 1858).  It seems to me they would have had other children born in the 1850s.    John McCabe supposedly died in 1869 but I cannot find a record or burial place.   Uncle Ulty McCabe became the gaurdians of the 3 children named above.  These 3 children all came to USA with their uncle Matthew Healy (Catherine's brother) in 1881.

John McCabe is shown in Lurgan Parish on the Griffiths Valuation but I could not determine the year.   He is also listed on page 39 in Aghacashel, Castlershan Barony.   There was an Ulthan
McCabe in Coppanagh Glebe,  James McCabe in Virgina, and a Bernard in Murmod (may be a cousin).

I cannot find any further information on the above McCabe people.   If you have anything that pertains to my research,  I will be truly appreciative of your sharing it with me.

Thanks,  Bettye

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCabe in LURGAN Parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 June 14 07:07 BST (UK) »

John McCabe is shown in Lurgan Parish on the Griffiths Valuation but I could not determine the year.   

The print date for the volume showing John McCabe was 1856, so the survey for that area would have been completed not long before that.  All of County Cavan was completed by June 1857.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 June 14 07:12 BST (UK) »
Familysearch also shows a daughter Mary born 1864:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRW1-H8M

For given parents John McCabe and Catherine Healy, the RootsIreland search index shows baptism "hits" for a previous daughter Mary in 1855 and a son Bernard in 1859, both baptised in the RC parish of Lurgan.  Record content is pay to view.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 June 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
If you ever get the opportunity, source records are available for perusal on microfilm for Virginia RC Church (Lurgan RC Parish, Kilmore Diocese) at PRONI's premises in Belfast.

Baptisms exist for 1755-1795 (with gaps for 1778/9 and 1785/6) and for 1821-1881.

Marriages exist for 1755-1770, 1773-1780, and 1821-1875.

Deaths exist for 1821-1855.

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 June 14 03:15 BST (UK) »
Gaffy,   I truly appreciate the response that you posted  to my McCabe query.  Since posting it I have also found a son, William McCabe,  bpt 28 June, 1862  in Aughacashel,  Virgina townland,  Lurgan Parish.

I live in California and I am 82 so I no longer travel.  I have been in the Heritage office in Dublin, Ireland but that was in the late 1970s.

Thank you,   Bettye               :D