Author Topic: Does anyone know where Cawder is/was?  (Read 19236 times)

Offline atherleigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where Cawder is/was?
« on: Monday 29 January 07 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
My ancestor, Alexander Campbell, died at a place called Cawder, Craigmore,Rothesay around 1900. I've located Craigmore, near Rothesay, but I'm at a loss to work out where Cawder is!  Was it the name of a village, a farm or a house?
Any ideas would be greatly welcomed!

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where Cawder is/was?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 07 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just wondered where you got the info from?  Do you have a copy of the DC?  If all 3 names are listed like you've shown then it appears it would have to be the name of a farm or dwelling place.  I ask as I had a look for the certificate on SP and there is none from 1895 to 1905 in Rothesay showing the address you've given.  My gazetteer lists Cawder House but that is in Lanarkshire.  The 1881 census disks do not have any listing that connects Cawder and variants to Bute.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 07 17:03 GMT (UK) »
If your ancestor was Alexander Campbell born in Largs, Ayrshire (steam boat owner) he is listed in the 1881 census as living at Auchaross, Craigmore which possibly indicates that Cawdor like Auchaross is the name of the House.

I've also conferred with my wife who is from there and she states that all of the houses have names rather than any numbering system although she hadn't heard of cawdor before.

Offline atherleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanksjean and Falkrynn,

Yes it has me puzzled also. Alexander Campbell , lithographer of  the firm Campbell and Tudhope in Glasgow , was born in Cadder and lived in Lanarkshire all his life at a place called Annfield near Bishopbriggs and yet in  the 1901  census he and his wife Maggie were boarders at 28 Battery Place, Rothesay. He was 67 in the 1901 census.  Its definitely him.
Anyway, I got his place of death  and his age(70) from a little undated newspaper cutting that my great grandmother kept. I've searched Scotland'sPeople,printed out several Alexander Campbells aged 70 between 1902-1908 and so far its cost me a small fortune and I still haven't found 'my' Alexander.  His mother's maiden name was McKean and his wife was Maggie Murdoch. The IGI hasn't been any help either.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd be so grateful!

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 08:48 GMT (UK) »
The reference to Bishopbriggs ..... originally a village north of Glasgow Bishopbriggs is actually in Dunbartonshire and is not near  the House previously listed as Annfield (see other thread)

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/smihou/smihou014.htm

gives details of the Cadder Estate and Cadder House which is different from the other house and is North of Glasgow near Bishopbriggs- Linking in with the possible house name in Bute this area was also known as Cawder.

Offline atherleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate everyone's help with this problem!
I suppose the only way I'll find out is to locate my ancestor's death cert... or maybe his wife's. I haven't had much luck there either. 

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Craigmore is a place in Bute, I'm guessing Cawder was the name of the house/building.

Try some of these websites and maybe someone local can have a look for you;

www.isle-of-bute.com
www.isle-of-bute.org.uk
www.butesonsanddaughters.co.uk

Look at Multi-Map and you'll find Craigmore Road.
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hanan

This looks a possible for wife Maggie's death:

1925   CAMPBELL   MARGARET       MURDOCH   F   88   ROTHESAY   /BUTE   558/00 0046

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atherleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hanan and MonicaLesl,
Thanks for your help! Monica, thank you for the death info for Maggie Murdoch Campbell - I've been looking 30 years too early as I thought she'd died around 1903! No wonder I couldn't find her!
Hanan, thanks for the links. I'll look them up and maybe can trace where Cawdor is.
Regards,
Atherleigh(Cheryl)