Author Topic: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire  (Read 19075 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Imisons of Horsehouse, Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 December 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is a report of the marriage of Peter C Ostram in the Saturday 24 January 1852 ,  Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury ,  Tyne and Wear, England
Type:  FamilyNotice    Words:  1741    Page:  8    Tags: none

—On the 22nd inst. Mr Peter C. Ostram etc, again you will have to subscribe to get the rest.

Tom

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 December 13 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Genie24

Do you have a tree on ancestry with name kittykat224? I have had a look in the Swedish Books. If it is your tree, where did you get the name Johanna Lang from?

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 December 13 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Yes that is my tree. Are we connected in some way? My great, great grandfather Edward Anderson was born in Gothenburg, Sweden on 4th October 1837. I found his date of birth on his Mariner's Certificate of competency. I found a baptism on Familysearch of an Eduard Andersson born on that date and christened on the 9th October in Ljung, Goteborg Och Bohus, Sweden. The mother is named as Johanna Lang and the father Anders Andersson. He is the youngest of 6 children. There may be more - Carl b. 1828, Gustaf b. 1830, Hermann b, 1831, Anna Johanna b. 1833, Christina b. 1835, Eduard b. 1837. However, I have his marriage certificate and his father is named as Oliver Anderson - Master Mariner. I have been unable to find any trace of him so assuming he remained in Sweden.I found a birth of a Johanna Lang with father named as Olof Lang. Perhaps Anders used that name to avoid confusion. I put these into my tree hoping it would throw up some hints but they are not confirmed names. All of the children have hints attached showing them on Gothenburg passenger lists. I don't have a current Ancestry subscription so I can't view them at the moment but I seem to remember they travelled to Hull. I have several records of an Edward Anderson (signature spelt Andersson with a double 's' on marriage certificate) travelling to the United States. Perhaps his famiy settled there. He is absent from several census records and died in Sep-Dec quarter 1915 in Sunderland. I have my reservations about this information even though the  birth date is the same. I have found several Oliver Andersons living in Sunderland and am convinced it is a family name. Also the Johanna Lang with father Olof would be too young to be the mother of these children. I am getting somewhere with the Imisons but not very far with the Andersons as I am struggling to find Swedish sources and my efforts to learn Swedish so I can understand them is not very successful. I would be very grateful for any help or advice regarding this. I have his statement of service from the Merchant Service after arrival in England around 1861. It states 6 years foreign service (see letter from Consul) National Archives and Maritime Museum say I have to find the record myself and contact the Swedish Port he worked from. I have two trees that I haven't made public - Edward Anderson Unconfirmed and Edward Anderson with Oliver Link. The data I have for these trees are based purely on conjecture.
Regards Julie
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 December 13 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
No we are not connected. I was interested in your plight and thought I would take a wee look. I traced Johanna Lang (Lång) all the way back to her birth. This Johanna was a daughter of an Olof Lång, he was a soldier. The name Lång is a soldier's name. A new recruit in Sweden at that time was given a name and these names would normally continue in the family. I soon realised that this Johanna was not Edward's mother.

The name Andersson is the normal way of spelling it here in Sweden. Of course there are always exceptions. The idea is patronymic.... the son of Anders. Anders+son.

Anyway I will look a little deeper and see if I can dig up something.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 December 13 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

The Edward you found with father Anders Andersson and mother Johanna Lang from Ljung I believe to be him. I have traced the family back to Anders’ birth. In one of the books the priest’s assistant had written “säges vara gift i England” which means that he was said to have married in England. This was written in the book for the years 1861-1868. I looked at the German Sailor papers you have and it is written that he was born in Gothenburg, Nygreen. According to the books his last residence was a place called Nyborg. This must be him. It seems to be too much of a coincidence. His brother Gustaf looks to have left with him. The only problem being is the date of him leaving which is 1868 (if that is what it says – hard to read) also there is something else written which could explain why he left. Which I cannot read either…..yet!  I have gone through loads of pages looking for him and his brother but to no avail. The person who wrote this must have written wrong or something, or, he came back during his sailor service for a visit. I will look further into that later on.
Johanna Lang from Hjertum with father Olof Lang was a red herring. They could be related. Lang is really “Lång”. Again a soldier’s name meaning long.
I was thinking of Oliver Anderson which I must say is not Swedish. I think it is Olof - the English equivalent. I will look further into this too. Maybe an uncle. As I said earlier there was something I couldn’t read from the books which might be a reason he wrote Oliver as his father. They might have had a fight over something. I will try to work this out.
There are a number of Anderssons as sailors in the books. They could be related. Also there is no evidence written in the books that Anders was a sailor.
There is no evidence of this family going to America that I have seen written in the books.

Ian

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Thank you so much  for the information. I am extremely grateful. Before I began to trace my family, no-one had any idea that Edward was born in Sweden. I would love to find the answer to this mystery in my father's lifetime. He is 86 in August. The census says Edward was a British Subject but I'm not entirely sure what that means-  if he was born of British parentage of he gained British status after arrival. I looked on the National Archives for immigration papers but found nothing. His application to be examined for his certificate of competency only gives Gothenburg as his place of birth. If the parish was given it would be so much easier. The date of birth is 4th October 1837 and this is the only one I can find on Familysearch. I have noticed that I haven't attached this document so I will have to do it. Another thing is the names of parents and siblings. There is no evidence of these names passed down through the family. Andersson is such a common  name and I fear I may never find him. I am hoping the answer lies with his seaman's records.
The other documents I have attached I believe to be him but have no confirmation or firm evidence. On one he is travelling to Boston with the ticket paid for by his father. I will have to look in to the Nyborg connection. He was definitely in Sunderland, Durham, England (near where I live) in 1868 to take his examination. He is not on the 1861 census but gives his address as Wear Street prior to his marriage in December 1862. It is possible he travelled back to Sweden perhaps to get the evidence of his service there. This is the certificate that is missing - the certificate from consul. I am so grateful that you are taking the time to look in to the Swedish books for me. I assume to reside in Sweden and are familiar with the language.
Regards Julie.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

To answer your question, I live in Sweden.

I have checked a few things from your tree. Of course all this depends on whether this is the Edward Anderson I have researched.  - The Boston passenger list you have is from 1903 and this Edward came from Malmo which is at the bottom of Sweden. Also, I think it says that his age is 16 not 66 years old. The record also states that he was single at that time and your Edward was a British Subject and therefore, perhaps, he wasn’t Swedish. Also his father died 17 Jan 1876 so he couldn’t have paid for the trip. Now, I think he would have sailed with the Merchant Navy to emigrate instead of paying all that money to get there, and then jump ship. And also, he had a family in England and died in England.

I have also checked the other passenger lists and the dates and residences don’t fit. He was a sailor at these times. He would have been working on a boat, not as a passenger. For example, according to one of the passenger lists he was travelling to New York in 1866, but according to his Statement of Service he was working on the SS Lady Beatrix from Sunderland.

So, to be honest, I don’t think he emigrated anywhere. I don’t want to sound condescending but I really don’t think these passenger lists are showing the correct Edward.

I am going through the Sailor’s Books from Gothenburg to see if I can find him, we’ll see. I would like to know how he got to Bremen and then how he got to Sunderland. According to his Statement of Service he could not prove his first 6 years of his service. I think he left Sweden around 1858 and never returned.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »

I have also done a bit of research on his German records. The Elisabeth was a passenger ship taking immigrants to New Orleans.
Link:   http://212.227.236.244/auswanderung/abfahrten/passagen.php?s=s&v=Elisabeth&lang=en
4th row from bottom.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Here is the Edward Anderson I am researching:

The image is from the page from the Swedish Book from Ljung dated 1861-1868.

You will notice “Nyborg” as his place of residence. “Ny” means new and “Borg” means castle.

The words to the left of the name says “Inhyrdes sjöman”. This probably means that he was enrolled in a Sailors Institute, probably in Gothenburg.

The dates on the right of the names are their birth dates plus where they were born: Ljung.