Author Topic: grave stone william hendley shropshire  (Read 1661 times)

Offline GEORGE SAINT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
grave stone william hendley shropshire
« on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
below is a gravestone of my 3xgrandfather William Hendley, on the left hand side of the photo is written,OF THE CAMP, and I was wondering if any of you wonderfull people could work out the meaning for me. Williams grave is in the village of Sambrook Shropshire any info would be fantastic thank you George

perry, tolson, stable(s), hendley,ashburner,woollands, guest,humphreys

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: grave stone william hendley shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
 He seems rather old but I  wonder if he was living  in a temporary settlement rather like the type built by navvies . Just huts and sometimes even canvas shelters.

Otherwise I remember Methodist missionaries coming to the small hamlet where I lived  in Shropshire, in the 1940`s. They came for about three weeks and it was not because we were a godless lot, in fact the inhabitants were staunch chapel -goers. The place where they lived for the duration of their visit  was always called "The Camp". I`m probably well off the mark but I thought  even though it may be a long shot there is a slim chance it could be helpful. Best of luck. Viktoria.

Offline GEORGE SAINT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: grave stone william hendley shropshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
He seems rather old but I  wonder if he was living  in a temporary settlement rather like the type built by navvies . Just huts and sometimes even canvas shelters.

Otherwise I remember Methodist missionaries coming to the small hamlet where I lived  in Shropshire, in the 1940`s. They came for about three weeks and it was not because we were a godless lot, in fact the inhabitants were staunch chapel -goers. The place where they lived for the duration of their visit  was always called "The Camp". I`m probably well off the mark but I thought  even though it may be a long shot there is a slim chance it could be helpful. Best of luck. Viktoria.
Ihave recently found out that there was once an inn called the Camp in ADBASTON Staffordshire. Camp Inn The Camp 1904 125 9 Adbaston Flashbrook  STS. But can find little info any help would be met with a big thank you
perry, tolson, stable(s), hendley,ashburner,woollands, guest,humphreys