Author Topic: Information on British Columbia Death Certificate  (Read 5509 times)

Offline donut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on British Columbia Death Certificate
« on: Tuesday 02 June 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me what information appears on a Death Certificate for a person who died in Victoria in 1971.
Is there a record of the person who notified the death as in an English Death Certificate.
Living in England - can I obtain a copy of the death certificate of someone who died in Victoria in 1971 - I have the registration information.
Many thanks
Donut

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Information on British Columbia Death Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Donut:

I've only ordered certs from Ontario, Canada.  However, according to an online site:
British Columbia death certificates may be ordered by anyone with a valid reason, including genealogy.  A standard certificate (it doesn't mention how far back) contains the person's full name, sex, date and place of death, place of birth, resident province (or state/country), registration number, and date of registration.

The site goes on to mention that a genealogical certificate or a photocopy of the original death record may contain: age and birth date, if married and to whom, burial place, occupation, parent's names and birthplaces.

Certficates may be ordered from this site:
http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/death/index.html
[I believe this is the correct site!]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 01:17 BST (UK) »
The record shows an informant who often is a child. I will pick up a copy from the local library for you. Is it the one for John Wark Bishop who died in Vicoria in 1971 mentioned in your other thread? Also I can get the other record mentioned for Mary Leila Bishop who died 1973 if you think that is of interest.

John

Offline donut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Yes - I am looking for the informant information for John Wark Bishop who died in 1971 and also for Mary Leila Bishop who died in 1973.
Could you also look at a third death - that of John Franklin Bishop who died in February, 1999?.  I believe he was their son.
Thank you
Donut

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
Could you also look at a third death - that of John Franklin Bishop who died in February, 1999?.  I believe he was their son.

Registrations for deaths after 1988 are held by British Columbia Vital Statistics and are protected by privacy laws. According to their website, only immediate family members can order a copy of the certificate. Death registrations from 1872 to 1988 are held by British Columbia Archives and are on microfilm. Many libraries in BC have copies of the microfilm and that is what John can access.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline donut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 20:24 BST (UK) »
Jacqui
Thank you for your information.  I guess I'm not going to find out much about a death in 1999.  Could you tell me where I might look for an obituary for someone who died in Surrey BC inb 1999?
Donut

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 20:30 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the Ask A Librarian page at the Surrey Public Library website:
http://www.spl.surrey.bc.ca/Information+Online/Ask+a+Librarian/default.htm
They may be able to do a look-up in the local newspaper for you.

If they are unable to help, there is a Vancouver volunteer at the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness website who does obituary look-ups for the Surrey area. Here's a link to that website:
http://www.raogk.org

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
I obtained the two death records. In both cases their son was the informant and he was living in Victoria at the time. Please send a PM with your email address and I will send them to you.

I could check for an obituarary for their son if he died in Surrey, B.C. The local West Vancouver library has the Vancouver paper which would probably be the best bet for an obituary. Are you certain he died February 1999 since trawling through newspapers can be time consuming if the date is not known.

John

Offline sheenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
Interested in this thread as I am looking for information on a Robert Hutchison Cowie b1892 Dundee Scotland, emigrated to Canada  August 1928 and  died 13th February 1973 Victoria BC.  Registration 1973-09-002894.

If anyone knows of Robert Cowie's family in Canada would appreciate any info.

Thanks
Sheenie
Fife: Radley/Harley/Brown/Cunningham/Rollo/Kinnear/Turpie
Fife: Laing/Ness/Birrell/Gay/Ramsay/Black/Greig/Storrar/Dowie
Angus/Forfar: Mathewson/Glass/Nicol/Main
Aberdeen: Mathewson/Cruickshank/Driscoll/Meston
Ross & Cromarty: MacKenzie/Gordon/Fraser
Nottinghamshire: Radley/Chevins/Shepherd