Author Topic: 1841 Lanarkshirecensus confusion  (Read 8098 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
1841 Lanarkshirecensus confusion
« on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Am searching for a George Bagnell, born 1836 - in 1841 Scottish census.  Can find one George Bagnell - but age 15 - parents wrong, but  family occupations right - so not totally discounting it.  Anc... tells me that I should be able to find a George Bagnell born 1836 in the 1841 census for Lanarkshire, but when go to SP, and I try every variation under the sun of spellings, in relevant age group -  even asking for just "Bagnell --" I come up with one Bagnell only - an Isaac age 4,  and it is definitely not the George I am looking for.

Any suggestions anyone?  Have been going round in circles...
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Lanarkshirecensus confusion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On SP searching for George Bagnell age 5 in Gorbals using Fuzzy Matching for the surname produces 1 result. Without looking at the image I don't know whether this is the George Bagnell age 5 on Ancestry with Hugh and Mary Bagnell.

Andy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I did a search on Ancestry and FindMyPast - both turned up George Bagnell, age 5?!

Parents? Hugh and Mary
Address: Muirhead Street, Gorbals

Also 5 O'Bryan children at the same address.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:53 GMT (UK) »
FreeCen lists George Bagnell, 5, with his parents Hugh and Mary in Muirhead Street, Gorbals.  SP has him indexed as Boswell.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Thanks everyone,

Very good of you all to help clarify this one - no wonder I couldn't get him on SP if they had him as Boswell!!  "Fuzzy matching"? have never tried that - I live and learn...
Well, it turns out that it still isn't my George, cos his parents are John Bagnell and Agness Kallichan or Callaghan...  He was definitely born in Glasgow Sept. 1836 - have records.  He then attested for army in 1855 in Glasgow, stating his age as 18. (also have records).  And I am not finding him in 1851 census either!!  Will give '51 census another try.  Or has the whole family gone elsewhere between 1836 and 1855?  hmmmm... what a mystery this man has been..
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Think I have exhausted my possibilities on both '41 and '51 census for my George/ and family.  It was interesting trying the "Fuzzy matching".  Isn't it amazing, I have been using SP for years now, and I still haven't discovered all the options!!  Will remember the "Fuzzy" option for another time - Thanks everyone.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 November 14 10:10 GMT (UK) »
1851 has a George 'Begnel' aged 15 and lodging at Well Street, Calton. Occupation is Bobbin Winder.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 November 14 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotsmum

Wow !!!  Well, I have had a good look at your suggestion of George Begnel on SP - and I do think you have come the closest yet - it is actually indexed on SP as George Becnel, but when I look at the original it looks distinctly like George Bagnel to me!!  The age is absolutely spot on ... the occupation bobbin winder? - not so sure, as he later on says he was a blacksmith! The location is also spot on - Calton area. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if his parents are both deceased by 1851 - they are definitely deceased by 1866 (his marriage).  In fact his parents were married in Glasgow in 1812, (living in Calton).. so maybe he was the youngest child and lost the parents when he was relatively young.  I don't recognise any of the names of people he is boarding with.. in later life, there is not much mention of family members.. Have tried for deaths of parents via Catholic Parish records, but no luck.
So - is it one of those where I can say .... Yes????????  !!!  and May I say again - Thanks Scotsmum and each and every one for your help - much appreciated...

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 November 14 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Well, I am still learning.  I have just used the "Fuzzy" idea on SP, and have found the OPR - marriage bans for parents John and Agnes. (Already had the CPR record).  And again - variation on spelling - "Bragnell" instead of Bagnell!!  And it tells me that John was a weaver... so links up a wee bit with George working as a bobbin winder age 15.... all little bits of info in the big jigsaw!