Author Topic: Alexander Young, drowned at Peterhead?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Young, drowned at Peterhead?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 11:36 GMT (UK) »

Even knowing the year and that it was an inshore accident, I still can't find a death certificate on SP.

I grew up in Cockenzie and Port Seton, and have had my fair share of drownings in my family. I note the Death Certificates gave an approxiamate location of where drowning took place, and it was also added that no body had been recovered, in a few instances.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Tom. I had been wondering if perhaps there was no certificate because the body had not been recovered, but thank you for confirming that certificates were still issued in the absence of a body.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Sorry, just got in from work. The newspaper reports are available at Findmypast and other sources I m sure.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I can access the 19th Century British Newspaper Collections through the National Library of Scotland web site.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Reports in following papers , all the same report.1868
1st Oct  John O Groats Journal
26th Sep  Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertisor
26th Sep  Manchester Courier
1st Oct Inverness Courier

Hope this helps
 Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, yes it does. There must be a different selection of papers on FindMyPast.

It was also reported, more or less verbatim, in the Glasgow Herald, 25 September 1868; Leeds Mercury, 25 September 1868; Liverpool Mercury, 25 September 1868; London Standard, 25 September 1868 and Nottinghamshire Guardian, 2 October 1868 !

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
As I had not come across this scenario before, I wrote to several people to try and find out why ther was no obvious entry. This afternoon, Karen Brett from National Records of Scotland sent me a copy of a page from a Registration library book, the contents of one paragraph is as follows :-

Deaths at Sea on board ship, or drowning from a British vessel, are reported by the master to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen, Customs House, London, from whom certified copies or extracts of such events can be produced for a small fee (sec, 254, 56 & 58 Vict. c 60) and some “Results of Precognition” regarding Deaths at Sea out-with the three mile limit are forwarded by the Procurator Fiscal generally to the Register-General of Shipping and Seamen, Customs House, London, where such events are recorded.” 

I don't know if this is the answer or not.

Regards

Malky