Author Topic: Mary Eliz Plunkett Belgrave Square Dublin  (Read 11537 times)

Offline deyermot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Eliz Plunkett Belgrave Square Dublin
« on: Tuesday 25 January 11 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Searching for info on Mary Eliz Plunkett born about 1860.   Fathers name was George.  On her Marriage record in 1879  she gives her address as  58 Belgrave Square Dublin. 

Deyermot

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Eliz Plunkett Belgrave Square Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Since you know her father's name It might be a good idea to keep an eye out on www.irishgealogy.ie to see if a baptism shows up for Mary Eliz. This covers manly Dublin City parish records, so may not include Mary's baptism if she was born out side the city. Have you found her on the 1901 and/or 1911 census to see where she gives as her place of birth ?

Thom's 1880 shows 58 85 Belgrave Sq North as a Mrs Plunkett. A slightly earlier listing in 1877 shows the house as vacant. An index in the same directory shows a George Plunkett listed as a solicitor - does this fit the occupation of Mary's father on the marriage cert ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline deyermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 09:35 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Shane

Thanks for your quick response.

I cannot find her in Irishgenealogy.ie .   Its 58 not 85  Belgrave Square.   She was married in 1879 in Rathgar in the District of Rathmines to Philip White.    Philips address was 54  Pembroke Rd.     She is in the 1901 Census   in 33 Leeson St Lower and died before 1911.   

According to the Marriage Cert Mary Plunketts   Father George is Dead

Philip  White was a Solicitor and his Father Matthew j was a Solicitor

Deyermot

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 09:49 GMT (UK) »
the 85 in my previous reply is a typo, which I've now fixed - there's no 85 Belgrave square as the numbers for the entire square only go up to 60. The details are correct for number 58

I'll check for further details of George and get back to you..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline deyermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 January 11 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I purchased a Baptism Record from Rootsireland.ie yesterday.  Its a Baptism Record for A Mary Eliz Plunkett Born 1856 Father George, Mother Susanna O'Neill.  The Parish is in Clontarf Co Dublin.

My Query is how do i know if  this is the  right Mary Eliz  Plunkett that i am searching for.

Deyermot

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 January 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Does the baptism record mention any more detailed address other than 'Clontarf' ?

Given the legal connection I think the solicitor I mentioned earlier could be her father. He seems to have died in the late  1870s and is not listed in the Belgrave Sq address. I dont see any trace of George living in Clontarf, but his earlier business listings at Dorset Street and Eccles St are North city, so his residence at that time could have been nearby in Clontarf

1852/1857 George Plunkett, solicitor 18 Eccles Street

1863 George Plunkett, solicitor 23 Dorset St Lower

1868 George Plunkett, solicitor, 52 William-street

1872 George Plunkett, solicitor 10 Suffolk street
  res : 25 Middle Gardiner Street

There are two Plunkett listings that I see in, or near, Clontarf in 1863 :

Mr. Mary Anne, Dollymount
  Miss Elly G. Plunkett, Fortview Lodge, Fortview

maybe possible connections to George ?

It's difficult to be absolutely certain that the baptism is the correct one, but it does fit the information you have at the moment. Have you located any siblings of Mary Eliz. ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline deyermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 January 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
The only other info on the record is Sponsor 1 John Plunkett,  Sponsor 2 Catherine Bowden

Parish /District  Clontarf.

I found a Likely Death  for George Plunkett on Pilot..Familysearch.  I hope its the correct one.

I sent for the record yesterday.  I should have it back next week.

I have no other info on Mary Eliz or her family.

Deyermot

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if there's any connection, but there's just one Bowden listing in the index in Thom's 1863

Captain Bowden, 14 Fairview Ave., Fairview.

Fairview is adjacent to Clontarf.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 11 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I've just spotted this more detailed 1863 listing in the Index for the George I mentioned earlier :

George Plunkett, solicitor, 21 Eccles St
   res : 5 St. John's Terrace, Clontarf

He's not listed at the Clontarf address in the street listing, but sometimes the directories are a little bit out of date - like last years phone book, but it does show a George Plunkett solicitor with a Clontarf address around the right time to fit with the baptism record you have

Shane
My Surname Interests