Author Topic: Torthorwald Church  (Read 2920 times)

Offline cokesidedoors

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Torthorwald Church
« on: Wednesday 03 August 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
I'd be grateful if anyone can advise me whether the gravestone inscriptions have either been put on-line of published in paper form.

I'm trying to trace the gravestone inscription for a Sneddon family member who died in an asylum in St Helens  (1890's) but is buried in Torthorwald. Family gossip has it that his gravestone does not mention St Helens but states Birkenhead as the place of death.

Any help would be appreciated. A picture of the gravestone would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Dave
Hunter
Phillimore
Sansbury
Pritchard
Looney
Bridson
Sneddon
Snedden
Pritchard
Prichard
Griffiths

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Torthorwald Church
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
DGFHS (www.DGFHS.org.uk) have published a booklet of Torthorwald MIs but unfortunately that would not help you find an 1890 burial.  The publication is based on the Shannon/Gilchrist surveys of the 1960s which do not include MIs later than 1855.  If it is of interest I can tell you that there are five SNEDDEN memorials and one SNEDDON memorial listed in the booklet.  There is no mention of St Helens or Birkenhead on any of them. 
I actually photographed this graveyard but did not attempt to take an image of every stone.  A quick look through my photo archive did not find your SNEDDEN.  If you are interested in the photographs I did take have a look at http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/Torthorwald/index.htm

I don't think you should necessarily assume that your ancestor is buried in Torthorwald.
Scottish gravestone are Family Memorials and they often list family members who died and are buried elsewhere.
Sorry not to be more helpful.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Update Friday Aug 5:
Passing through Torthorwald today with half hour to spare !
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
Archibald SNEDDEN

Offline cokesidedoors

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Johnner Kid,

I really don't know what to say.

"Thank you" seems hardly enough for the time you took to take the photographs and put them on line. The 3rd photo confirms the family folk-law.

Thank you so much.

Dave

Hunter
Phillimore
Sansbury
Pritchard
Looney
Bridson
Sneddon
Snedden
Pritchard
Prichard
Griffiths

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 11 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
I enjoyed a nice afternoon stroll in an old graveyard. Sun wasn't quite where I like it for gravestone photography but the results were OK.
I took closeups of all the SNEDDEN stones -- they are yours if you want them.
Use the personal message facility to send me an e-mail address that takes attachments and I'll send you the closeup images of the other inscriptions.
Cheers,
Sy