Author Topic: Jefferys in Jersey  (Read 2419 times)

Offline catmint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jefferys in Jersey
« on: Saturday 10 March 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Jersey Tea merchant. Trying to find out more about my ancestor Robert Jefferys and the time he spent in Jersey.  He was born in Melksham Wilts. in 1801, he was living and working in St Helier at the time of 1841 census.  His business was referred to in an 1839 directory as Jefferys & co.  Has anyone any suggestions as to how I find out when this business was established and what happened to it? Thank you.   
Jefferys- Wiltshire & Jersey.  O Gorman- Birr Offaly & Liverpool, Olsen Hafstad - Norway & Liverpool, Wall- Wicklow, Smith- Dublin

Offline Alexandriaclare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jefferys in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 April 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Jersey Tea merchant. Trying to find out more about my ancestor Robert Jefferys and the time he spent in Jersey.  He was born in Melksham Wilts. in 1801, he was living and working in St Helier at the time of 1841 census.  His business was referred to in an 1839 directory as Jefferys & co.  Has anyone any suggestions as to how I find out when this business was established and what happened to it? Thank you.
I believe he is my great, great grandfather, though my great great grandmother is Mary Ann Jacobs. It has recently come to light that Robert may have had a wife in Jersey! We know he travelled back and forth a lot. Mum has a photo of him with his 2 sons, Robert and Edward. My dad traced our family tree back to 1600's, so I can find quite a lot out. am interested in finding out more about his wife and family in Jersey. I may have a few distant cousins!

Offline catmint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 13 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Alexandria Clare, so pleased to make contact. It is really exciting to hear from you.  If you know your gg grandmother was Mary Ann Jacobs then we have the same person.  For a while I have known about the existance of a photo of Robert Jefferys and his two boys, Edward ( my great grandfather) and Robert, but have been unable to locate it within the circle of family members I have contact with.  My sister and I have discovered all sort of information about Robert, his two families, Mary Ann Jacobs  and his Quaker ancestry which I am happy to share.  Please get back to me.  I wonder if you are related to Paul who emailed me today?
Jefferys- Wiltshire & Jersey.  O Gorman- Birr Offaly & Liverpool, Olsen Hafstad - Norway & Liverpool, Wall- Wicklow, Smith- Dublin

Offline Alexandriaclare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Alexandria Clare, so pleased to make contact. It is really exciting to hear from you.  If you know your gg grandmother was Mary Ann Jacobs then we have the same person.  For a while I have known about the existance of a photo of Robert Jefferys and his two boys, Edward ( my great grandfather) and Robert, but have been unable to locate it within the circle of family members I have contact with.  My sister and I have discovered all sort of information about Robert, his two families, Mary Ann Jacobs  and his Quaker ancestry which I am happy to share.  Please get back to me.  I wonder if you are related to Paul who emailed me today?
Yes I am. He's my first cousin. He told me of his visit to Aintree, and poss about you. I just googled Robert Jefferys and it took me to here. I don't know how to use this site