Author Topic: Mary Ward/Stewart - Stirling  (Read 5801 times)

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ward/Stewart - Stirling
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 January 14 18:30 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly a possibilty. When was James born based on the death and marriage cert?  Presumably the death cert also names his parents

Kay

It has James age at death of 53, which would make the birth around 1870. It lists his parents as John Ward (General Labourer) and Catherine McIntyre. The same parents are on the marriage cert between James and Sarah.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 January 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
But it doesn't seem to help finding this James pre his marriage!!

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 January 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands People has the death of a Catherine Ward in 1927 age 65 in Renfrew with other names listed as Mcintyre.  However  too young

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 January 14 05:56 GMT (UK) »
The Stirling Workhouse records are held by the Stirling Archives according to the workhouse site, but looking through the Stirling Archives site I can't see a specific reference to these records on their site.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Stirling/

Kay

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 January 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you have death record for Mary. Was death notified by a family member and does record give their details?

From some of the suggestions above, family may all have come from Ireland and possibly was not all together at times of censuses. Also there may well have been a number of relocations  - several new pits opened in the Stirling area in the 1890's / 1900's and in my own family a number of mineworkers later moved to Fife from Stirling.

Possible family (mother not listed) in 1901 census (Ancestry) in Hamilton has father James Ward (aged 45) Colliery Stocker, and son Thomas (15) Colliery Labourer (both born in Ireland). There are 2 other children, Essie (Jessie?) aged 17 and James aged 12 - again listed as born in Ireland. Mother could have been back in Ireland or in hospital if already poorly? There are a couple of Mary Wards who might be candidates but ages / birthplaces not entirely consistent.

Regards

Sandy

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 January 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
The Stirling Workhouse records are held by the Stirling Archives according to the workhouse site, but looking through the Stirling Archives site I can't see a specific reference to these records on their site.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Stirling/

Kay

Thanks Kay, I have sent off an email to the Stirling archives, so hopefully get some information on Mary's admittance etc... in a wee bit.

Presumably you have death record for Mary. Was death notified by a family member and does record give their details?

From some of the suggestions above, family may all have come from Ireland and possibly was not all together at times of censuses. Also there may well have been a number of relocations  - several new pits opened in the Stirling area in the 1890's / 1900's and in my own family a number of mineworkers later moved to Fife from Stirling.

Possible family (mother not listed) in 1901 census (Ancestry) in Hamilton has father James Ward (aged 45) Colliery Stocker, and son Thomas (15) Colliery Labourer (both born in Ireland). There are 2 other children, Essie (Jessie?) aged 17 and James aged 12 - again listed as born in Ireland. Mother could have been back in Ireland or in hospital if already poorly? There are a couple of Mary Wards who might be candidates but ages / birthplaces not entirely consistent.

Regards

Sandy

Thanks Sandy, On Mary's death cert it shows Donald MacMillan (Poorhouse Governor) as the informant, no family is mentioned. I looked up the poorhouse in the census for 1901 and couldn't find Mary. Hopefully if I can get my hands on Mary's admission records for the poorhouse, it may outline family details etc...

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
After contacting the archives at Stirling council today, they searched the parish records for poor relief and couldn't find any record of Mary. The archivist also informed me that the hospital records don't exist.  :(

I did spot that they have (Combination Infectious Diseases Hospital minutes & ledger 1900 - 1948) on their website, so i've just sent back another email to see if that might contain anything - not holding out much hope for it though!

I guess the next step would be to trace the Irish passenger lists to see if they came across or went back at any point.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 07:46 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong but I don't think any records were kept of passengers travelling within the British Isles.  At the time it would have been all within the UK
http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/archive/faq.aspx

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the family that SandyMcJ found in 1901 in 1911 the father James was still living in Hamilton with his married daughter Essie and son in law listed as John Ward. This time James is listed as a widower, but previously in 1901 he is listed as married. He also has a son Patrick aged 4 by another married woman Mary Keane

There is a Thomas Ward age 26 in living as a lodger in Ballengry West Fife (not far from Lochgelly) and working as a coal miner.  His birth place is listed as Cavan Ireland

Edit - Just in case there is a connection RootsIreland has a baptism of a Thomas Ward born 15 Sept 1886 at Gallonboy Kingscourt  CoCavan RC with parents listed as James Ward and Mary Ward with sponsers Peter Lynch   and Essy Ward.  There are baptisms for parents with the same names in Cavan for James 1889, John 1891, Bridget 1885 and Esther 1883.   I can't see a death in Scotlands People for a Mary Ward mdn name Ward.